Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Light On, Traction Control Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light On, Traction Control Light Flashing

Recently the ABS light came on and stayed on in my wife's 2005 XC90. Also, in the message center, the message "Anti-skid Temporarily Off" started showing. However, in addition to that, there are times when the vehicle loses power. Most of the time, the power loss is when the vehicle is cold and you begin to accelerate down the driveway and out on to the street. A couple of times it has happened after the vehicle is warmed up and even when merging on the highway; steady power loss no matter how far you push on the gas pedal. When the power loss occurs, the traction control light flashes and the speedometer drops to and shows zero. The power loss is temporary and only lasts for 5 or 10 seconds. I am wondering / hoping that the problems are tied together. The dealer wants $1700 to replace the ABS Control Module and I was like The XC90 has 95K miles on it and we are about to move out of it shortly, want to get out of this as cheap as possible. Any clues what this may all be? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by OnATrail
Recently the ABS light came on and stayed on in my wife's 2005 XC90. Also, in the message center, the message "Anti-skid Temporarily Off" started showing. However, in addition to that, there are times when the vehicle loses power. Most of the time, the power loss is when the vehicle is cold and you begin to accelerate down the driveway and out on to the street. A couple of times it has happened after the vehicle is warmed up and even when merging on the highway; steady power loss no matter how far you push on the gas pedal. When the power loss occurs, the traction control light flashes and the speedometer drops to and shows zero. The power loss is temporary and only lasts for 5 or 10 seconds. I am wondering / hoping that the problems are tied together. The dealer wants $1700 to replace the ABS Control Module and I was like The XC90 has 95K miles on it and we are about to move out of it shortly, want to get out of this as cheap as possible. Any clues what this may all be? Thanks!
I had this same issue happen to me almost verbatum. ABS lights came on, Anti-Skid Temporarily off and another light maybe engine and also lost power like I was driving in 2nd with no power. I brought it in and got quoted 2000 for a new rear differential control module or DEM. It is the Haldex unit just in front of the Rear Diff. If you unplug it the issues should go away but you will lose the All Wheel Drive. I had mine rebuilt with a lifetime warranty, put it back on and a week later hit a deer and totalled the 04 xc90 T6... So now I have one if you find out thats your issue. The part number is 30783132. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Rick
rpellegrom@live.com

Old 07-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Hey guys! I had a similar problem with my 1999 C70 convertible. From time to time the ABS, traction control, sometimes also the check engine lights showed up on my dashboard and just after that the speedometer dropped down to zero (0). At long last, today I managed to do something about that. It may not be the greatest solution, but temporary it's fine. Not only by me, but by many others was it useful too, as I saw on other forums. However, here's the article that helped me solve this problem. I hope it works by you too. May the force be with you all! (: