Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experienced the low frequency noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experienced the low frequency noise

Hello all! This is a question from a potential Volvo XC90 driver. With a bigger family, I am going to try the Volvo XC90 some time very soon. While searching online for reviews, there are some complains about the low frequency noise. Here is an example news:
Specifically, when the vehicle is idling or driving at a low speed, low-frequency resonance continues to occur in the vehicle, causing discomfort for drivers and passengers, and even dizziness, dizziness, nausea, etc. in severe cases.
Does anyone here really experienced that noise? Thanks for your input!

Old 01-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

this reads like "fake news" to me. I'm not disputing the fact that cars can develop resonances at various engine or road speeds - including at idle. The reference to becoming ill due to the sound of a Volvo at idle seems a bit extreme (maybe the car owners became magnetic after their Covid vaccine?). I've seen complaints about used models that developed vibrations (poor trim fit, worn motor mounts as usual suspects) across more than one brand (Cadillacs, Range Rovers included). I suspect it may actually be a result of the car's sound deadening as well as high expectations for the brand. You'd never have noticed such noise in prior generation cars since as they had a generally higher ambient noise level. Put extra sound deadening in the shell, doors, exhaust, tires and suddenly you notice more low pitch noise since its harder to deaden. My prediction is there will be a ton more complaints about tire noise as EVs gain popularity - or people will complain about the added cost of the low noise tires their car "recommends".

Old 01-04-2022, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
this reads like "fake news" to me. I'm not disputing the fact that cars can develop resonances at various engine or road speeds - including at idle. The reference to becoming ill due to the sound of a Volvo at idle seems a bit extreme (maybe the car owners became magnetic after their Covid vaccine?). I've seen complaints about used models that developed vibrations (poor trim fit, worn motor mounts as usual suspects) across more than one brand (Cadillacs, Range Rovers included). I suspect it may actually be a result of the car's sound deadening as well as high expectations for the brand. You'd never have noticed such noise in prior generation cars since as they had a generally higher ambient noise level. Put extra sound deadening in the shell, doors, exhaust, tires and suddenly you notice more low pitch noise since its harder to deaden. My prediction is there will be a ton more complaints about tire noise as EVs gain popularity - or people will complain about the added cost of the low noise tires their car "recommends".
Thanks for the insights!