Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Hands-free System For XC90 - How Does It Work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
ORC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Hands-free System For XC90 - How Does It Work?

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how the bluetooth hands-free system integrates with the XC90 (to decide whether or not to order it with the car), but I haven't been able to find any information on it. As Volvo states "For the model year 2010 XC90, Volvo will not offer the factory-installed Bluetooth® system; a Volvo dealer-installed accessory Bluetooth solution is available." I am thus hoping someone can share his or her actual experience with bluetooth in the XC90. I have an iPhone. In particular:
  • Are the car's speakers used for the call?
  • Is the car stereo automatically muted when making a call?
  • How does one dial a number?
  • Can one see the phone's directory somewhere on the instrument panel?
  • Is the caller ID of an incoming call displayed somewhere on the instrument panel?
  • Is it worth it, or should one just get a much cheaper third-party bluetooth adapter, e.g. as part of a portable navigation system?
  • How many phones can be paired with the system?

Thank you for any information you can share with me!
- Oliver

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Cars speakers are used for them speaking.The microphone is intergrated into the bluetooth unit for you talking.
-Car stereo is automatically muted.
-You can use the phones directory to make a call hands free.Just push the bluetooth button on the unit.
-Incoming call is NOT displayed.
-Volvo's bluetooth isnt to shabby.And its kinda nice.Not bulky by any means.And covered under the accesories warranty.
-As far as I know,only one phone can be paired.I could be wrong.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM

I just bought my new(used) XC90 and am waiting on delivery of it. The xc90 has a bluetooth unit already installed. Is this a Volvo "accessory" that was originally offered by the dealer?

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Hands-free System For XC90 - How Does It Work?-volvo-bluetooth.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

HI,

I just purchased a 2010 Volvo XC90 and the bluetooth came with the car, it was factory installed on the invoice but you talk the price down of course.

Here are the answers to below

• Are the car's speakers used for the call? (YES when you have a call, your stereo, music is paused)
  • Is the car stereo automatically muted when making a call? (yes)
  • How does one dial a number? (you will speak the numbers out or save a call into memory, if you save it , all you need to do is say "call ----" whatever you save, the voice recognition is very good on this system so they usually get the right number if you speak it cleary)
  • Can one see the phone's directory somewhere on the instrument panel? (No, it's all by memory, and on the name you saved it)
  • Is the caller ID of an incoming call displayed somewhere on the instrument panel? (don't remember, didn't check the instrument panel when i got my call, i just press the green button to answer it, I think not having the number on the panel is better so you don't put your eyes off the wheel )
  • Is it worth it, or should one just get a much cheaper third-party bluetooth adapter, e.g. as part of a portable navigation system? (I totally like the factory bluetooth, it's convenience and the voice recognition is better than all the other bluetooths I've seen aftermarket)
  • How many phones can be paired with the system? (one at a time, but you can set up as many phones as you want, I've set up two)

Originally Posted by ORC
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how the bluetooth hands-free system integrates with the XC90 (to decide whether or not to order it with the car), but I haven't been able to find any information on it. As Volvo states "For the model year 2010 XC90, Volvo will not offer the factory-installed Bluetooth® system; a Volvo dealer-installed accessory Bluetooth solution is available." I am thus hoping someone can share his or her actual experience with bluetooth in the XC90. I have an iPhone. In particular:
  • Are the car's speakers used for the call?
  • Is the car stereo automatically muted when making a call?
  • How does one dial a number?
  • Can one see the phone's directory somewhere on the instrument panel?
  • Is the caller ID of an incoming call displayed somewhere on the instrument panel?
  • Is it worth it, or should one just get a much cheaper third-party bluetooth adapter, e.g. as part of a portable navigation system?
  • How many phones can be paired with the system?

Thank you for any information you can share with me!
- Oliver

Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM

To add to the post above;

When you receive a call and the caller is stored in your Volvo's BT "contact list"; the stereo goes mute and a voice states "call from ...." or "call from 905.332.5656"

You can store up to approx. 30 numbers/people on your BT contact list. Not many but great for your close contacts.

To make a call; push the silver button. The BT voice prompts you for a command. You just state "Call Bob's Cell" (the way you stored Bob's number in the contact list) and the voice will confirm "did you want to call Bob's cell?" and you say Yes. It dials and the sound comes through the stereo speakers.

You can pair up to 3 phones but operates one at a time. It connects automatically when you start the car. Nothing to turn on. Works great.

I've used Motorola's "visor" type BT unit and it was ok. Blue Ant's ST-3 was better and was my last unit. That one uses the contact list that is listed on your phone. It was by far better than the Motorola and louder and easy to use.

However, this Volvo's BT unit is by far way better than anyone of the other two and works great. The mic for the unit is actually located just above the rear-view mirror mount.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
lrs

I’m looking to purchase a new XC90 Executive in the next couple of weeks and am also a little confused myself when it comes to the phone options on this car.

The Executive specification automatically comes as standard with:

• Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call

The confusing bit is that the ‘Build your own XC90’ configurator then lists two additional phone options that you can select for the Executive level:

• Integrated GSM Telephone Ł500
• Bluetooth Hands-Free System Ł319

The big question is what do these two additional options offer over and above the ‘Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call’ that comes automatically with the Executive?

Any help on this would be very appreciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Hi,

If you have a phone that has bluetooth option, you don't need the GSM option, it's like "another phone" kind of thing you would have to set that up with a cell phone # account, so bluetooth one is preferred since you can line it up with 3 different phones (one at a time) of course. No need for a phone in a car, you just need it handsfree

Thanks~

michelle

Originally Posted by lrs
I’m looking to purchase a new XC90 Executive in the next couple of weeks and am also a little confused myself when it comes to the phone options on this car.

The Executive specification automatically comes as standard with:

• Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call

The confusing bit is that the ‘Build your own XC90’ configurator then lists two additional phone options that you can select for the Executive level:

• Integrated GSM Telephone Ł500
• Bluetooth Hands-Free System Ł319

The big question is what do these two additional options offer over and above the ‘Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call’ that comes automatically with the Executive?

Any help on this would be very appreciated.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:06 AM
lrs

Originally Posted by miss2010xc90
Hi,

If you have a phone that has bluetooth option, you don't need the GSM option, it's like "another phone" kind of thing you would have to set that up with a cell phone # account, so bluetooth one is preferred since you can line it up with 3 different phones (one at a time) of course. No need for a phone in a car, you just need it handsfree
The problem with the Bluetooth option is that it does not provide a physical cradle for your mobile phone to snap into, so you won’t get phone charging and direct connection to the cars external aerial for higher signal strength.

Does the ‘Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call’ that comes standard with the Executive just provide the physical cradle for your own phone to snap into or does it include a hard wired mobile phone handset in the car? (I know that the Volvo On Call feature will have a GSM phone module buried somewhere deep within the car for emergency services connection only)

Also does the ‘Dual Band Integrated GSM Telephone with Volvo On Call’ come with the ability to use the steering wheel controls for the phone?

The Volvo phone bundles and options are quite confusing say compared to some other manufactures.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM

I was wanting bluetooth installed in my XC90. Do I need to go to the dealer with this? I've checked two places locally. I was told that because of the way that the XC90 is wired, the sound could not be wired through my speakers. A separate speaker would have to be installed under my seat and a microphone would be somewhere above my head.

Has anyone else had bluetooth installed in their XC90? Mine is a 2006

Old 07-25-2020, 01:22 AM
Default Handsfree Bluetooth retrofit in my 2008 Volvo cx90

How do I pair my iPhone 7plus to my Handsfree Bluetooth retrofit in my 2008 Volvo cx90

This is the handsfree Bluetooth in my cx90 2008 I just bought but I don’t know how to pair my iPhone with it!!! Please help me with instructions

Old 12-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BikerJohn
I just bought my new(used) XC90 and am waiting on delivery of it. The xc90 has a bluetooth unit already installed. Is this a Volvo "accessory" that was originally offered by the dealer?
I have this exact same unit in a car I just purchased for my daughter. Is there a way to play music through this system?

Old 02-09-2022, 02:20 PM

@ThunderZ, no way to play music through that unit (I have the exact same one in my 2009 xc90) that I can find. Its pretty basic compared to new units.

Anyone have the install guide? I'd like to remove mine and don't know where all the components are. Otherwise I'll just dive behind the head unit and start looking at wires. If it is like most aftermarket ones it uses the fiberoptic connection to the CD changer.

alex

Old 02-16-2022, 03:38 PM

Sorry, I have to ask... Is "Mr12Volt" not a solution for you? Or is it not available?!

Mine works like a charm... BT handsfree + Spotify control. But - of cours - I can't see the number/name of incoming calls or track titles...