Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder misfire, throttle body, and PCV...OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder misfire, throttle body, and PCV...OH MY!

My 2005 2.5T XC90 has the gremlins.

First off this baby has 248K miles on her. She was going pretty strong until about a week ago. Here's the story...

1. Coming home from work last week she starts running a bit rough. Not bad, just skipping a bit. Code is P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire). Check the compression on all cylinders, they're all between 125-150 PSI, not great but not bad for the miles. Plugs look good. Replaced plug in cylinder #2 just for giggles. Problem solved, good deal! That was 2 days ago.

2. Start the car today. RPMs run up to about 2K, then slowly settle down to under 1K but running very rough. Throttle is non-responsive at first. Starts working after the car settles down but is still very sluggish. Right away get the "Reduced engine performance" followed by "Engine system service required". Cool... Check the codes and get a P2111 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open). Looks like the throttle body needs to be cleaned/replaced.

3. PCV system has needed attention for some time.

The real question here - is it worth it? Part of me feels like I'm on borrowed time with this car anyway. With the PCV system, and depending on whether the throttle body needs to be cleaned or replaced, parts will run $400-1000 for this job.

Also, how do you know if cleaning the throttle body will work? It's not like that part is on top of the engine. Anyone dealt with cleaning one only to find out they get to tear the front of the engine off again to replace it?

Just looking for ideas and opinions on this. My gut tells me it's worth it and she might go another 50K miles but who knows, right? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

No way to tell regarding the throttle. It isn't that hard to take off. Just the air pipe and four screws. If you are replacing the PCV, clean the throttle while the intake is off. You don't need to pull the intake again should the throttle need replacement.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES6T
No way to tell regarding the throttle. It isn't that hard to take off. Just the air pipe and four screws. If you are replacing the PCV, clean the throttle while the intake is off. You don't need to pull the intake again should the throttle need replacement.
Oh nice, good to know. I thought you had to remove the intake again.
PCV really needs attention. The hose that goes to the top of the engine near the oil filler is broken...in a few spots.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u do ur PCV u might as well clean the throttle body. I did both at the same time, some people take the throttle body off to clean it but i did it on the car, not as clean has taking it off but good enough to solve my idle issues. Just make sure u wear safety glasses sense u will be spraying throttle body cleaner up from under the vehicle.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, don't spray anything directly into the throttle.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible to give a detail discription on how to clean the throttle body step by step...I do have to change the pcv hose, cracked...thanks