Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed in Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in Volvo

I LOVED my CX90 ....my first new car...got it before the birth of my first son....never took it anywhere but the volvo dealer too maintain it. Over looked the 10k in issues over the years that i ended up paying for....sun roof leak, suspention issues, electrical issues...etc.
I loved my car so much that I was ready to trade my 04 Cx90 in for a newer model.
I was in the service department at my trusty volvo dealer in June and asked my service rep. "hey...if something is going to go on THIS car that will be a big expense...what would it be?" The answer I got was "oh...most likely the electrical to the tune of $1000" I thought...okay...I really can't afford a new car at this time so I will just keep my 04. I LOVED my VOLVO.....and then it died....DIED. No warning light ....no nothing...just DIED.
THE TRANSMISSION FAILED....which i was told is a $6700 fix....????? I called another vovlo autoshop just to get a price quote....to which I was told "oh yeah the transmission on that car is a FAULTY GM TRANSMISSION" they go ALL the time. A WHAT? A faulty GM TRANSMISSION? But I thought that I bought a VOLVO. So, I quickly got on line and found ALL sorts of information about the FAULTY GM TRANSMISSION IN THE 04 Cx90 T6.
Volvo of North America and My volvo dealer ADMIT that they are aware of the "issue" that yes,,,it is a faulty transmission...and yes they have had several dozens that they have had to replace....HOWEVER...they can't help me since I am over 100,000 miles. NOT THE POINT....if you know it is a faulty transmission does not matter how many miles are on the car. It is a SAFETY ISSUE....my car...which I BELIEVED was running PERFECTLY since I NEVER MISSED one oil change or one service appt. just died in the middle of the road with my 4 yr. old in the car. Is VOLVO going to just sit back and wait until someone dies or until the final outcome of the current CLASS ACTION suit which has been filed in NJ? VOVLO YOU NEED TO GET BEHIND YOUR CARS and YOUR CUSTOMERS. Your moto should not be "VOLVO FOR LIFE" it should be "VOLVO for 100,000 miles...if you are lucky"

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM

its a old car, should have bought a honda. i know my life and my family is worth all the money in the world. deal with it or trade it in for a new one

Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by gshadow325
its a old car, should have bought a honda. i know my life and my family is worth all the money in the world. deal with it or trade it in for a new one
Nice, helpful response...now go away and let the adults have a discussion.

If you still like the XC90, go back to the dealer and discuss trading it in on a new one. Ask for assistance on the trade for being a loyal customer, both to Volvo and your dealer. Expect around $4000 to $5000 as a trade as is. This is probably your best option unless you want to look around for a independent shop to replace the transmission. Volvo is now replacing the transmission, radiator, and the lines between the two to keep any contaminants could be in the fluid's systems, so an independent shop would also need to do this to else the transmission may fail quickly again.

2005 XC90 T6 103K (new transmission @ 99K with assistance from Volvo NA)

Old 09-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by furyguy
Nice, helpful response...now go away and let the adults have a discussion.
Right, Put up the money or STFU. Stuff breaks fix it or junk it. Why whine about it? Its a car, it need maintenence. Like my previous post says, You should have bought a Honda then, not a Volvo. Volvo's are know for its safety features not reliability. You want the piece of mind of a new car @ 100k+ right.

Mommy mommy my transmission broke and i need money to fix it...waaa waaa.

What about the Honda Accords 98-02, Acura Tl/Cl 99-03 they all had bad trannies?? Honda told them to go screw themselves. There are issues with each brand/model. Its life, its the car world. Dont like it? WALK or MASS transit.

Now get out of my sandbox, i was here first!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Wow...did not realize this forum was a "sandbox" full of children. Not only was your post rude it was just downright childish...I am truely sorry you are so angry.

Volvo has had a DOCUMENTED track record with faulty transmissions on this car. They have known about it for years. There is currently a class action law suit that has signifigant evidence against volvo and their "known transmission failure". It is NOT okay to put families in an UNSAFE car.....it is NOT okay with me and I would guess that all those families that had their transmission fail it was not okay with them.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:22 PM

You should have bought a Honda then.....
What about the Honda Accords 98-02, Acura Tl/Cl 99-03 they all had bad trannies??
Contradiction?? And Honda has offered "good will" in extending the warranty on the trany to just over 100,000 miles.

Now get out of my sandbox, i was here first!
Actually, jake4c was here first. If you are not going to post helpful information, then please keep your comments to yourself.

Jake4c- -like I said before...keep at your dealer and Volvo NA...it took me over a year before a acceptable settlement was . Since you are the original owner, not buying they car cheap because of now known transmission issues, they should work with you. Be firm but also be willing to accept a decent offer.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jake4c
Wow...did not realize this forum was a "sandbox" full of children. Not only was your post rude it was just downright childish...I am truely sorry you are so angry.
No one is angry, just stepping up to tell you to stop your whining. All cars have their strengths and weaknesses. You saved money with your insurance by having one of the safest cars on the road in its class. My 04 Armada was $1500 per year insurance, vs my 03 XC90 $940. XC90 cost more than the armada. You dont want problems trade it in for a new car with a warranty and move on. You want to own a used car, be prepared to do some work or have deep pockets to pay for work to be done. These cars are not going to get any cheaper.

Originally Posted by furyguy
Contradiction?? And Honda has offered "good will" in extending the warranty on the trany to just over 100,000 miles.
Actually, jake4c was here first. If you are not going to post helpful information, then please keep your comments to yourself.
Comments are like @ssholes, everyone has one.
Jake4c- -like I said before...keep at your dealer and Volvo NA...it took me over a year before a acceptable settlement was . Since you are the original owner, not buying they car cheap because of now known transmission issues, they should work with you. Be firm but also be willing to accept a decent offer.
Furyballs has good advice, Negotiate back and forth with Volvo for a year and then maybe you can get some money towards your tranny. Like i said, cut your losses now and trade the car, or sell it as is. Expect to get $2500-4000 for it depending on the trim level. Better idea would be for some assistance to get a NEW Volvo and be rid of the headache, believe me there will be more. I invested in a BSR PPC diagnostic tool and found that my AWD does not work. Did research and found that dealers were quoting $1500-3000 for the repair. I fixed it with $40 worth of fluids and some cleaning of the connectors 2 months ago. My car has had two trannies 67k and 139k today its at 147k. Jake cut your losses while you can, go for a deal that can get you a decent trade price and some money off a new xc90. Its a bigger deal to Volvo if you are willing to stay LOYAL to the brand and commit for another 5 years.

Unfortunatly XC90's are prone to the sunroof issues, easy 30 minute fix that can be found on various volvo forums(some even have it stickied). Groans and squeaks from the front end. Radio reception issues. AWD troubles. Service SRS urgent messages. If the average Volvo owner only knew what these cars are able to tell us from a simple vehicle code scan you'd be amazed or if they even knew how make the car show up DTC's from the DIM. Yet we remain loyal to the brand, until it becomes a liability which yours has become.

I am done, you can play in the sandbox now, i am moving over to the swings.
btw- i was here first 9/9/10 vs 9/10/10

Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Just an FYI.....Volvo will be replacing my transmission 100% of the cost. Once we got through the standard "can't help ya" and got in touch with someone at Volvo of NA that could help us...they stepped up to the plate. We did the right thing in maintaining the car always at the dealer and it did not matter how well I maintained that car...the transmission is faulty. I am thankful that they are doing the right thing and thankful that we stood our ground.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big deal there are still crap loads of 240s and 740s, and 850s on the road and they are far older than a 03 xc90, given a 03 should not have a tranny failure at 100k, id rather have my 95 850 turbo over a 2011 honda any day, and 03 is not old, old is my 67 imperial. both me and my parents 850s have just over 200k on the original trannies and engines and going strong. plus the volvo is safer then the honda and has a better quality build in their cars. im out of the sand box and to the garage lol

in the end glad volvo came thru

Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing but you have a T6 XC90? Those transmissions are crap. There are many tech bulletins out on this transmission. They should replace it no questions asked. I worked for a dealer in Richmond VA, I replaced so many of those I could do it in my sleep. They even had us replacing the trans-cooler and lines. There was usually so much metal in the pan, due to the mixing of transmission fluid and coolant.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM

@jake4C - concur with you and glad Volvo did come thru on this one for you. My dealer in Richmond, VA told me the XC90 T6 transmissions were faulty, so that says alot about the product. Expect when you pay over $40k that a vehicle would last a decent period of time.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

@RVA_Tech

Did you all replace the transmissions with the same exact model or were the replacements modified to correct the problem? Also did Mooers Volvo or VOlvo NA cover the cost of the replacement?