Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone ever post anything GOOD?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone ever post anything GOOD?!

I have noticed on this whole forum that every thread is about some problem. Do these cars really have that many issues? If so why do people even buy them?? I am also a member of a Mustang SVT forum and the people there post all kind of cool stuff that they are either doing to or doing with there cars. Its a funs site to be on. But here every topic I read is some dreary post about how their Volvo has some problem. I dont own a Volvo but I really like them and I am currently looking into buying one. I know the Mustang and the Volvo community are completely different but it is hard to want a car that seems to have so many issues. Thats all. Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know I have thought the same thing. If I had found this forum before I bought my Volvo it would have discouraged me from buying it, but I still love the car, how it rides, and it looks and features. I just read all these post so when I do have a problem I will be able to figure out what is wrong with mine. These cars seem to do well up to around 100,000 miles or so , then the original owner can afford to trade it for some poor soul to worry with. Any way thats what i think volvo's operating strategy is. For instance I went out and cranked my 13 year Nissan up yesterday, after it had been sitting for 3 months, no problem what so ever. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

A couple things to keep in mind:

A lot of misinformation is on the internet. People who don't understand how things work, be it with the car or processes involved in repairing it or how the dealer works, jump to conclusions and post wrong information. I see it all the time when a customer comes in with a problem and says "but I read about the recall on the internet!". Then it takes a half hour to explain and prove that the recall is not for their car.

Also, all cars have their problems. Some more than others. Volvos have their common problems just like any car. A lot of people like to take to the internet to complain. People who are happy rarely take the time to voice that.

Also, they are good for well over 100,000 miles if properly maintained. Unfortunately, a lot of people ignore the "properly maintained" part, even when it comes to basic oil changes. Look around and you'll see plenty of threads (here and elsewhere) about oil changes. How long to go between them, what kind of oil, etc. There's companies who analyze oil samples and tell you how far you can go. I don't care what a company tells me, I am not going 20,000 miles on oil, synthetic or not. Then they complain that their PCV system plugged up and blew out oil seals. I wonder why. I change mine every 3000 miles. I have 100,000 on my car and the vacuum in the crankcase is perfect. Not a drop of seepage from the turbo. But that's a whole different conversation.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUVs are not vehicles people generally buy to modify, work on themselves, take to track etc. boards for older/sports cars have many posts other than problem (but still most are for problems....). i've been on old 911, 924/944, M3, MR2, and old Mercedes boards and they have many more posts about mods, DIY etc. but still most are about problems/issues. this board is very similar to board for newer MB models. our XC90 has been owned for 18 months and has been completely reliable.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM

As schumicat says, comparing mustang and xc90 is completely irrelevant..... Different kind of people completely... Mustang fans are enthusiasts that like to modify their machines... XC90 owners are most likely professionals and family men or moms that don't have time to spend on the net to talk about how much they love their vehicle. When they go on the net regarding their vehicles, it is to find answers to a problem and discuss that.

Just look around.... threads that discuss positive things, hardly ever get answered or any reaction. That is not why people come here. Lets be real, XC90 are lookers and purchased as an expectation that they last forever, like old volvos did. They are one of the most boring SUV to drive and do not give any excitment to the driver whatsoever. Satisfaction, yes, but excitment... No way.... For that, you'll have to buy a Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5 M. There you'll most likely find the type of discussion you are after. Excitment is the key motivation for tuning any vehicle.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM

i love my s80 the problems iv had cost me 710$ DIY jobs the alternator i spent 5 hours on because i had to unbolt lots of major components !! ignition switch 45$ and engine fan 110$ a ball joint for 60$ an rotors 250$ over 3 years....but identifying the problems were a night mare i am cutting the problems corner faster every day.....So this car wont burn me..s80 is a advanced puzzle and if you have trouble with advanced schooling or advanced subject matter this car will haunt you...mustangs i always wanted but this is a puzzle with a 2,500 peace set not 500 peace puzzle so yes volvo drivers mostly complain on forums ....VOLVOS ARE A HOLE DIFFERENT BALL OF WAX THEN 88% OF THE VEHICLES ON ROAD .VOLVOS ARE OVER ENGINEERED.

Toronto Canada s80 t6 2000 196,000 and counting polar arctic matalic, tinted

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 05-24-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Lots of threads around about mods, high miles, etc. Several forms don't help people get their problems solved so not so many people post.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Im starting to realize that volvoforums.com is becoming a World wide movement that is dominating the entire web car info subject !!! volvo 4 life

Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Cool yes lots of good

Check any other make of car forum and there is hundreds of posts about problems,all cars have em so if you don't like this one just go to another car forum there is plenty to choose from!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by torontos80t62000
i love my s80 the problems iv had cost me 460$ DIY jobs the alternator i spent 5 hours on because i had no idea what i was doing!!! the part cost half of total repairs, ignition switch 45$ and engine fan 110$ over 3 years....but identifying the problems were a night mare i am cutting the problems corner pfaster every day.....So this car wont burn me..s80 is a advanced puzzel and if you have trouble with advanced schooling or advanced subject matter this car will haunt you...mustangs i always wanted but this is a puzzel with a 2,500 peace set not 500 peace puzzel so yes volvo drivers mostly complain on forums ....VOLVOS ARE A HOLE DIFFERENT BALL OF WAX THEN 88% OF THE VEHICLES ON ROAD .VOLVOS ARE OVER ENGINEERED.

Toronto Canada s80 t6 2000 196,000 and counting polar arctic matalic, tinted

...or 1999-2000 S80 T6s are junk. I wouldn't call them a "puzzel"

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

I have never owned an S80, so no, I didn't buy a piece of junk.

I work on them daily and it would be hard to convince me to take one for free.

Just because I am a Volvo master tech doesn't mean I think all Volvos are fantastic cars.

And before you go on a rant claiming you are so smart, learn some basic spelling and grammar.

You love your S80 and that is great. They certainly have more problems than other models though. And there is nothing on your car that is more difficult or advanced than any other P2 platform Volvo.

Last edited by ES6T; 05-24-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Haha okay.

Sound out my username and you'll figure out what I drive. It is not a "peace" of crap. You are throwing out insults you have no idea about.

See the quotes around "puzzel"? That was because I was spelling it the way you did multiple times. Just like how you used "peace" instead of "piece".

I am one of the top 100 Volvo techs in North America. If you wouldn't want me to fix your Volvo, that is fine. I don't burn anyone and the kind of car I'm working on plays no role is what it needs.

I simply stated that those cars have more problems than others. You threw a tantrum and decided a bunch of unfounded personal insults would be a good idea. So I'll get personal- you are a mechanic and it took you 5 hours to replace the alternator? That is pathetic.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM

alt info

ALTERNATOR -------IMA SPELL IT OUT FOR EVERY ONE AT VOLVO FORUMS ALTERNATOR ON A VOLVO S80 T6 2000 FIX 5 HOURS IN TOTAL

fIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY 4MINS
PULL TURBO TUBE RIGHT IN FRONT OF FAN SHROUD OFF 2MIN
THEN DRAIN POWER STEERING FLUID REMOVE HOSE, LET DRAIN 15MIN
DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT HOSE ABOVE ALT, REMOVE HOSE 25MIN
REMOVE THE SERPENTINE BELT 3MIN
UNBOLT AC UNIT.(it slides up.... the alt unhooks from behind the ac motor.you can not accesss the alt without first unbolting the ac - WEIRD ANGLE 9MINUTES
UNBOLT THE ALT - AGAIN WEIRd ANGLE 7 MINS
So so far thats an hour and ten minutes just to get the alternator off

went up stairs and pulled the entire alt apart to see what the problem was 120 mins
found problem .....the spring loaded voltage regulator contact rod was
worn down inside the regulator from the last 10 years of use

made a call to my mechanic said 1hour 280$ it will be there 60min

hour later at home replaced atl new power steering fluid more coolant
connected every thing 46minutes

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 05-25-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't mean your personal car was crap, just that in general, the P2 T6 S80 had a lot of problems. That is the truth. Yours may not, and that is great.

I sent you a PM, not an email. And I did so to avoid this thread going back and forth because you have a personal problem with me. If you'd rather have your tantrum here, then go for it.

And it is "you're", not "your".

There are about 100 expert rated techs in North America and I am one of those. So no, I'm not nuts. I know my ****.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 PM

..............not the place for this............... this is not who i m am. when other people talk down 2 me about my wip i get mad witch is not the way to handle things...... walking away ! es6t i have no grudg..TRUST ME

WE COULD PROBABLY SIT, DRINk AND talk VOLVOS ALL NIGHT .....PS NO HOMO

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 05-24-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

That's why I took it to PMs..

Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM

No.. It was your last post u were finally polite

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You two sound like a couple of morons arguing haha... Es6t, you should be proud for being on the top 100 and yet brag about it on a forum. um. okay. You forgot to mention the 01 s80 :P Hopefully you didn't request to write a questions for the next round test. haha...
Look forward towards the new volvos, and leave the **** behind. I mean worries. :P

Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

I don't brag about it until someone insults my knowledge.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vida
You two sound like a couple of morons arguing haha...
Sounded more like one moron and one guy who knows what he's talking about arguing to me.

The word retract does not contain a hyphen. QED.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ever post anything GOOD?!