Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing check engine light after turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing check engine light after turbo replacement

Hi all,

I'm stumped at an issue I'm experiencing on my 2006 XC90. The turbo in my 2.5T petrol was leaking loads of oil, so I had my local mechanic replace it with a refurbished unit. Straight after I got it back, I started getting a flashing check engine light, but only if I am coasting down a hill. Doesn't do it under load, just sometimes when I crested a hill and was coasting down the other side. Also seemed to only happen when warm, never straight after engine start. The flashing light would last about 7-10 blinks. Sometimes the check engine light would set after flashing, sometimes not. The codes would be random misfires (P0300) or a misfire for a particular cylinder (P0301 etc), but not always the same cylinder. This makes me think it's a common sensor like the knock sensor, but the mechanic was saying he didn't disturb that at all.

The car never had this problem before the turbo replacement, so I believe it's probably related to something that was disturbed getting the turbo out. So the mechanic checked it all over, re-seated all the connectors and cleaned them for anything that was disturbed to get the turbo out. He replaced the plugs and coils. He checked all the physical connections were tight. He checked the vacuum lines according to the Volvo diagrams. He's checked the alternator, battery, and fuel pressure. But still the problem remains. I always run the car on premium 98RON fuel.

The car runs beautifully, not rough at all, in fact if it wasn't for the light, I wouldn't even know there was a problem. I'd be tempted to leave it but of course there's no way of knowing if there is a serious check engine problem that arises, because the check engine light would already be on.

I'm actually wondering if it could be a bad batch of fuel. I filled it up just prior to taking the car in. It still has a fair bit of the tank left, but if it runs low and I haven't managed to solve the issue, I'll be interested to see if it changes anything. Seems unlikely though.

I'm a little lost to know where to go from here. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be mighty grateful. If I make any progress in the meantime, I'll post it back here. Cheers.