Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye 05 XC90 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye 05 XC90 V8

am very sorry to say that I have given up on my XC90 and VOLVO. Just made my last payment in Nov 2010 - looks like I will need to replace the car this week. Over the past month or two I have brought the car to dealer because of check engine light. Twice they gave software updates and could not find anything wrong. Thought the software would fix the problem. Two weeks ago (while raining) EVERY LIGHT ON DASH CAME ON. Check engine, power overload, brake failure, limp mode and many others I can't remember. Then there was a loud popping noise that seemed to come from the center speaker near windshield. Drove to dealer and by the time there the car had lost power steering, lights were dim-did not turn on radio or heat as I knew there was a problem with the power. Dealer replaced alternator at a cost of $1,006 after a 10% discount. 10 days later check engine light came back on and car lost lights and windshield wipers-it was 9:00pm and sleeting. Car was towed into dealer and now needs new computer module due to water getting into it. The cost of this repair is 2900.00 plus possible an additional 500 to replace the alarm system. It also needs a new battery. I can not continue to put money into this vehicle no matter how much I love the car. I have had so many problems with the car-the gas tank was replaced twice-the ignition has been replaced because key gets stuck in it and I can't turn car off. This continues to be a problem that can't be permanently fixed. I keep reporting noises in the front end-problems with steering and the dealer can't find anything wrong. On top of that I had to have the hood repainted because the paint was peeling-after the dealer told me it was from something hitting my car on highway (something that landed on hood and ate away paint). He suggested I call my insurance co. A few weeks later more spots appeared and now dealer says looks like hood was repainted-asked me 3 times if it had been repainted-said no each time and them told him if it was repainted it was done by dealer or Volvo as I had picked car from lot as brand new and had NEVER PAINTED IT. I have had so many problems with this car and dealer. I asked them to give me price as I cannot afford repairs or live with the reliability issues. Thoughts on value or experience with V8 or newer models would be appreciated. It will not be easy for me to get another vOLVO EVEN though I have had only VOLVOs since 1986. We have owned a total of 6.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Volvos since 1985 and the newest one I had was 1998. I'm not sure I would buy a newer one either though. After reading you post, I have even more doubts. Think I'll just keep my 850's running as long as I can.