Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head scratcher...melted coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head scratcher...melted coil

My wife's car broke down tonight. I recently replaced LDP, one coil, one injector, fuel rail and injector orings and pressure sensor. Car was running great. This time, she made it a short distance from the house and the thing started running rough. Turned around and tried to head back but it died and no restart. I got there and found the #5 coil melted. She wouldn't start at all, not even a bit. That's unusual as just a couple weeks ago she had a coil go bad and it was still drive-able, at least it started. I went to check for codes and there were none!?
She got towed home and I'm going to replace the four coils left I haven't replaced yet. Then I guess we'll see if it starts and hopefully it will.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, for those who may be interested.....

I replaced the burnt coil and the blown 20 amp fuse under the hood that controls the injectors and coils and she started right up. I checked the grounds to the coil wiring and they were clean and not corroded in any way. No signs of mice as it's parked in a garage and gets used everyday. No bad wiring that I can see. I've never seen such a melted coil before. I can't figure it out.

Well anyway, I'm going to replace the last three original coils just to be on the safe side. Since no one was willing to chime in, I'll mosey on over to the irrelevant line and hang with the kids in band club. Later.

The following users liked this post:
Volvoio (06-24-2023)