Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage XC90 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage XC90 reliability

Hi, I’m looking at buying a used XC90 anywhere from a 2004 to a 2008 with between 80 and 100k miles. There are a reasonably large number available in the area for around 10 grand, my wife and I test drove one with about 118k miles (just to get a feel for the car before we drove a few hours for the deals) and I’ve never driven anything that felt so right. It was perfect, and I love the layout of the interior and everything about the vehicle.

That being said, my brother owned a Volvo wagon (I don’t know what model) for a couple of years (similar scenario – bought used only he acquired it with about 110k on the odometer), and he said he had ton of problems with the car, and eventually sold it. When I spoke with him, he said I should be prepared to spend about $5,000 per year on maintenance and repairs and be ready for it to be in the shop 2-3 times per year. I’ve seen poking around various forums that there are different problems some people encounter, but I always felt that there were probably a higher number of problems reported in active car communities online than exist in the population as a whole. My reasoning is that one of the things that drives car owners to online forums in the first place is to gather information about various issues they have.

Is there any advice anyone can give me about buying one of these? How much do you guys generally spend on upkeep/repairs per year? I’m really looking forward to this purchase, but I don’t want to get something that’s going to drive great off the lot and then crap out. I’m willing to accept that my brother got a lemon, but I’ve heard other maintenance stories as well. I know this is a long post with a broad question, but any input is welcome.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 t5 purchase

I would recommend 2006 and above. Have it checked out by a Volvo mechanic. You will also need a honest reliable independent Volvo mechanic to maintain your car. I can't afford dealership prices. You will have to replace timing belt and all other belts at 100,000 miles. I have had my 2006 for 20 months and I have spent 1400 for all the above repairs, some light bulbs, wiper blades, 3 oil changes and general checkups. My friends can't get over the age of it when they express their positive comments about the car. I paid about 12 for it, and the dealer did a complete service at purchase with Mobil 1 oil change and nitrogen in the tires, I watched them do it. I have enjoyed the car and hope to keep it a long time.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Default Love mine still...

Got my 2006 with about 60K on it about 5 years ago. Only spent about 16K on it.

I've got close to 170K on it now and the transmission gave out (4300+tax) - but I consider myself lucky. So only one major repair in 5 years. Not too bad so far. I'm hoping that I'll get another 100K out of it without too many more repairs.

However, in comparison, my 2000 Ford Excursion is close to 200K (got it new) and i've only spend half that amount on major repairs.

I don't consider maintenance oil, tires, brakes, etc in these comparisons b/c you have to spend the money to get those things replace regardless of vehicle. (I've been relatively fortunate with the brakes on the Excursion -- i'm a very cautious driver and I drive it like a truck.. not a car. :roll eyes

Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by fred in florida
I would recommend 2006 and above. Have it checked out by a Volvo mechanic. You will also need a honest reliable independent Volvo mechanic to maintain your car. I can't afford dealership prices. You will have to replace timing belt and all other belts at 100,000 miles. I have had my 2006 for 20 months and I have spent 1400 for all the above repairs, some light bulbs, wiper blades, 3 oil changes and general checkups. My friends can't get over the age of it when they express their positive comments about the car. I paid about 12 for it, and the dealer did a complete service at purchase with Mobil 1 oil change and nitrogen in the tires, I watched them do it. I have enjoyed the car and hope to keep it a long time.
I have to agree to pretty much everything Fred has said. Stay away from the earlier model years with the T6 engine and weak transmission which was very prone to failure.

I've heard the 3.2 I6 engine and matched transmission is reliable, especially compared to the earlier T6 engine matched with a transmission prone to early failure. The 3.2 I6 engine became available starting with the 2007 model year.

I purchased a 2008 3.2 I6 with 106k miles on it about 10 months ago, so my personal experience is limited. I have put on about 11,000 miles on it since then and so far, no problems.

I had an independent Volvo shop look it over before I purchased it, which is a critical step with any used car purchase. Other than replacing bulbs, wipers, fuel filter and an oil change it runs great. I'm planning on replacing plugs soon, but can do that myself so it's just the cost of the plugs (about $75 for Volvo plugs). I am at the point where I should start replacing the suspension parts (control arms, bushings, end links, struts), but that's necessary on most any vehicle of similar age and mileage.

As with Fred, I hope to keep this Volvo on the road for a long time.

Last edited by murmur; 08-06-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM

I bought a 2008 almost a year ago with 108K on it for $9k. I love this vehicle. Bought it because I have a 1994 v70 in the drive that has been very good to us. I've only put 1500 miles on the 2008 since I got it as I walk as often as possible to do what I have to do. Repairs are expensive-new battery cost me $175 and oil change at my usual place was twice the cost compared to other vehicles like my husbands Dodge truck. Not great on gas. Yet, I love it.. It performs the way I want and it has every option a person could ever want in a car. The dvd players don't work but that's something I wouldn't use anyway(anyone ever heard of TALKING to your kids?). I'm sure by now you have purchased something as your original post was quite some time ago so let us know what you got and how it's going!

Old 12-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Default 154,123 chreck up

I bought a 2004 XC90 last year with 141K on it for under $2,800 and knew I would need to sink some money into it ... at this point, including 3 oil changes, I am up to $2,700 in updates which include:
4 New all-season radials, changed original spark plugs, timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, and thermostat; new right tie rod and rotter, new breaks front and rear.
Going into my second year of ownership, I've got a car that I've spent $5,500 and should be fine for the upcoming year; I anticipate the monthly cost of ownership over 3 years (2022 plan) to be about $200 plus an additional $100 per month for fuel too. Not bad at all