Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information I Have Found on the XC90

Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Information I Have Found on the XC90

Before reading the thread about inspecting an XC90 on this board and talking to a dealership's service manager, I almost bought a T6. I got a great price on one and was pretty excited about it until I heard that the trsansmision is known to go around 80K. This one had 78K on it.

I test drove two 03 models and both of them seemed fine to me. One had 50K and the other around 70K. The one I was going to buy was about 400 miles away and I was setting up a pre-purchase inspection when the dealer I talked to said stay away from the T6 and look for the 3.2 or the V8.

I test drove two 3.2's last night and found them very different to drive. I kept spinning the wheels from a dead stop and the transmission seemed to shift quite a bit. Both of them did the same thing. Probably just something to get used to. I have yet to drive the V8.

I just saw two bright red V8 XC90's for sale on e-bay. Might just wait til they come down in price and my available funds increases. I mean bright red with the charcoal interior made me forget about every other car I have been looking at.

I had actually switched to looking at Toyota 4Runners which I can find in my price range, but I think I will wait for the perfect XC90 at the right price since I really don't need a new car.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah... I have a customer that really wants an XC90. I inspected one for them, it was an '03 T6 (see my earlier posting on this) and found the trans fluid to be severely burned and full of friction material (only had 51,000 miles, too) I advised them against it. They're bringing me an '04 2.5 with only 39,000 miles to look at on Thursday.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait... you're in Columbus, too? Hmm... better not give out too much info on the one my customer is interested in! (heh) The one you tested with 50K miles... was it silver and being sold by a private party? If so... I've already looked at it, and know the trans is about done on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model?

So what model should we be looking for. My Mom is looking for a different SUV, and I'm looking for an xc90 in the near future. How can you identify the dog transmissions? aren't they the GM ones?

And what are the different engines- is the 3.2 different from a T6?

It seems quite confusing. We are both looking for 3rd row seating- does that predispose to a certain model.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know there is a 2.5L five cylinder that is ok but underpowred, the 3.2L V6 and V8 are fine. Basically just stay away from the T6 is my conclusion.

Yes I did look at a silver one with 50K in the New Albany area. Car did not look well taken care of to me and he wanted top dollar. It was his wife's car and they had just gone through a divorce.

Don't worry I am no longer in the market. Bought a boat and GMC Envoy to tow it instead. Sold the V70 and bought the Envoy for about the same money. Will tow with the Envoy until the boat is paid for and then start looking for the XC90 V8.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Looks like I was lucky!

My gear box only went at 120 000 km - it got to 75 000 miles!
We are in Cape Town South Africa and we pay top dollar for these cars because of 100% duties on imports.
I am so disappointed in this car - it rides so well, looks good - but I have had the Turbo's replaced twice (both of them) the diff had to be replaced, tie rods went and I am on my 4th set of tyres! Cant be ?! There is zero support here in South Africa. They did not offer the extended warranty here, and the one set of turbo's and the gear box all happened 4 months out of warranty and the new turbos lasted 22 000 km (15 000 miles?) - Volvo's response was that the cannot guarentee any componets!

Now I want to trade it in, and my conscionce just will not allow me to dump the heap of trouble on anyone but the Volvo dealer I bought it from - he must deal with the next dissapointed victim!
The trade in offered is pathetic - R150 000 ($19000) 2004 T6
Probably go with the XC60 - wonder what surprises it has in store..........
P.S. What icon do you use to depict someone who has been shafted?