Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with Camshaft/Crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Issue with Camshaft/Crankshaft position sensor

Greetings,

I have been having some issues with my 2004 XC-90 2.5t AWD for the past few months. I have a check engine light and OBDII Engine codes P0337 and P0343 and the car runs but is either in limp home mode (unable to drive over 3000 RPMs) or runs rough above 4000 RPMs I've been troubleshooting and replacing parts as they come up. so far I've replaced 2 Camshaft position Sensors, 1 camshaft position sensor housing, 1 Crankshaft Position Sensor, 1 Crankshaft position sensor bracket, 1 EVAP hose, 1 ignition coil, 1 ignition coil connector housing, Sent the car to a "Volvo Certified Service Center" for a diagnostic for 2 labor hours (ECM: 644A, 643A) and had a timing belt service done by an independent Mechanic that specializes in European Cars. Right now I have exhausted my brain and by the end of the month I have to present my vehicle for state inspection and the CEL still wont go away I don't know what to do other than trace and replace the wires and connectors. please help!

Old 07-14-2022, 09:41 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by novareality
1. Engine codes P0337 and P0343

2.replacing parts, I've replaced 2 Camshaft position Sensors, 1 camshaft position sensor housing, 1 Crankshaft Position Sensor, 1 Crankshaft position sensor bracket,

3. Sent the car to a "Volvo Certified Service Center" for a diagnostic for 2 labor hours (ECM: 644A, 643A)

4. had a timing belt service done by an independent Mechanic that specializes in European Cars.
OK
1. those are cam position is not correct codes

2. you guessed and spent a bunch replacing stuff that was not needed. Sorry for your loss (of hard earned $$)

3. Ok - they got the same codes again for $$$

4. Either your "independent Mechanic that specializes in European Cars" did not get the cam belt on correctly or - WHY did not not have the "Volvo Certified Service Center" replace the cam belt or do whatever they thought would cure the problem after they "diagnosed" the car? Was the next guy that did it wrong $100 cheaper? $200?

It seems like you should have had someone try to diagnose the problem and then (after dicking around trying to fix this yourself) you would have those SAME PEOPLE that "diagnosed" it fix it. - That way there would be some accountability - If you simply pay someone for codes - then have someone else try to solve those codes - NO ONE is responsible!

With the appropriate scan tool you can watch and test the VVT system to make sure it is working - before the car leaves the shop! And "Volvo certified Service Center" means nothing in the US. The only people "Volvo Certified" is a dealer. As an independent I like that my customers think I am "certified" - but the only certification an independent can get is the techs can be ASE certified. Volvo enjoys selling me parts - but wants to fix the cars themselves.

Here's a list of possible causes - and I understand your frustration. You might just have to let someone who knows what they are doing solve the problem. Several times my techs have replaced a cam belt and the car ends up with cam position codes - and these are guys that have done this hundreds of times - so it;s easy for mistakes to be made. Unfortunately when you have 1 shop give you codes and you tell another shop to do this or that and end up with the same outcome - as I said no one is responsible - other than whoever made the decision for whatever repair was done.

Last edited by hoonk; 07-14-2022 at 09:52 PM.