Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mildew smell from a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mildew smell from a/c?

I have an '04 T6 and there seems to be a mildew type of smell emminating from the a/c vents as far I can tell. We always have the a/c on, but the smell seems to only appear after the car has either been washed or has has been out in the rain. Any hints on possible cause? Has been to the dealer once, but they couldn't reproduce the smell.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Default RE: mildew smell from a/c?

Probably, you need to replace the cabin air filter. Usually, you should get the smell without the AC on. Once you start the AC, the smell should go away.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

I get the same smell, did you replace your cabin filter and if so did it fix the problem?
Flip

Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The offensive odor coming from the vents is probably due to foreign objects stuck onto the evaporatour (cabin cooling unit shaped like a miniature radiator behind the dash). If overboard drain is clogged, water gets trapped and may attract mildew, as well as "enhancing" the odor producers (bugs, decayed leaves, etc...). I am not sure how water drain is set-up in the XC90, as I'm an 850 driver.

Replace the cabin filter, and if it doesn't do the trick, buy a can of A/C odor-killer spray at an auto parts shop and spray it from the A/C air intake (the length of effectiveness varies). For specific application, follow the directions on the product. For the location of the air intake, please refer to your owner's manual. If your vehicle is missing the manual, wait until another member replies, and if not, it is usually located at the bottom of the windscreen (windshield).

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM

a/c refresh kit/ if that does not work, replace the cabin air filter

Old 11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

afterblow feature for drying out evaporator is turned off.. will have to go to dealer to re-activete it with VIDA. Hope that helps

Old 05-28-2008, 08:36 PM

I know this is an older post, but - I've had the same problem now for a few months. Odd thing is, I only notice it when the sunroof (or now the windows) are open - if all are closed I can turn up the fan and not smell a thing. Dealer replaced filter 2 weeks ago, and enabled the afterblow as well (which I've witnessed blowing since). However, smell is now worse! With the top open, it's like having a wet carpet wrapped around my head. With the top closed, again - no smell! It must be "pulling" the odor, rather than "pushing" it {with the fan}. Any ideas???

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as now Volvo is releasing a new tool to remove odour from evaporator. Will arrive dealership soon... Also feel the carpet for wetness and if the odour are coming from the carpet.. due to water leak at sunroof drain hoses (clogged with debris)...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you smell mildew when the car is at a stop with the roof open? Do you smell if the windows are open? I would visually inspect the sunroof mechanism area, as it is another location for mildew to grow. Clean with alcohol if necessary but don't spill alcohol as it can ruin the paint job.

As far as I know, activated charcoal is the best material to absorb offensive odor; I use it everywhere such as my shoe insole, fridge, etc...

JPN

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I hadthe same issues. Have the Volvo dealership check for the following which is covered under warranty.

A/C: WATER TEST AND DIAGNOSE FOUND AC DRAIN NOT CONNECTED

SUNROOF: MODIFY SUNROOF DRAINS AND ADJUST SUNROOF

Hope this helps!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM

I have the same problem as Speedster77. I have a 2004 XC90 that smells like a wet dog! It gets really bad after it rains. The A/C smells moistand moldy when the after-blower is running. I have had 2 separate dealers look into this issue, for a total of 15 times, and neither one can figure anything out. Sometimes they smell it, spray it, and give it back. Other times, they state that there is no odor. They have gone so far as to tell me that the car "just needs to be detailed"!

The A/C system has been "disinfected" three times andthe cabin filter replaced multiple times. I have since reported the dealer which sold the vehicle to me to Volvo corporate. I stated that an outside source should have been contacted to research the problem that is obviously present.

So, Ihired a company specializing in locating vehicle odors. So far, this company has pulled up some carpet, checked the headliner, and checked the sunroof. Although no mold has appeared in any of these places, a mold/mildew remover spray was scrubbed into all of the carpeting and upholstery. In addition to this, a fogger was used to clean out the A/C ducts. After a few days, the smell inevitably comes back.

I have been checking forums regarding this probelm for years, but no one ever posts a solution. If I had the money, I would just unload the car. Since I don't, I would really like to figure this out. Please help. Thank you.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Smelly XC90

...Ihired a company specializing in locating vehicle odors. So far, this company has pulled up some carpet, checked the headliner, and checked the sunroof. Although no mold has appeared in any of these places, a mold/mildew remover spray was scrubbed into all of the carpeting and upholstery. In addition to this, a fogger was used to clean out the A/C ducts. After a few days, the smell inevitably comes back.

I have been checking forums regarding this probelm for years, but no one ever posts a solution. If I had the money, I would just unload the car. Since I don't, I would really like to figure this out. Please help. Thank you.

Is it possible that a small animal (mice) got into AC system and died there? I remeber there was a posting describing that...

Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by m1964
Is it possible that a small animal (mice) got into AC system and died there? I remeber there was a posting describing that...
Unlikely, since it smells only after it rains, and has been doing so for over 4 years!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Linus
Probably, you need to replace the cabin air filter. Usually, you should get the smell without the AC on. Once you start the AC, the smell should go away.
This is exactly what is happening to my wife's 05. Everytime the AC is off there is a crazy bad smell that is coming out of the vents. Time to replace the cabin filter right?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Default I can kill the odor with bleach

Hi all, I have a 06 XC90 and have always had the odor in rain or after I wash the truck. I confirmed my sunroof drains were all working fine and my AC drips like crazy under the truck when idling. So, by accident while cleaning my wiper blades I spilled bleach in down the windshield into the black part of the trim that the windshield connects to. I had a puddle of nastiness and ran water over it to avoid damaging anything. I started the truck and got a blast of bleach scented air and noticed the usual mold odor was gone. So, I waited a week and still nothing. I washed the truck again and with no bleach, the odor returned. So, I took an oil funnel and poured bleach into the openings near the windsheild (I think these are drains or air intakes) and immediately the odor is gone. I'm at 5 weeks with a few washes and rain and still no odor. If it returns, I'll put a few more drops of bleach in. Cost to fix, around $3 for the bleach. :-)