Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2005 XC90 adventor, Fuel, water more!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2005 XC90 adventor, Fuel, water more!

Story starts here.

I have an issue with a rusting fuel pump ring, or something else in the tank causing rust to flake and get into the fuel pump/filter. they have been replaced twice before dealer had truck and found issue. First garage replaced the fuel pump/filter and it got plugged again, twice. Anyways, I have a spare replacement tank already, and I helped take it out of a parts xc90 of same year model, except most of the work had been done before I got there. (drive shaft, muffler etc. already out. Does anyone have the manual to show the instructions of putting the new one back in?

I have not personally seen what the issue is yet as this all happened under my Ex wife. I'm buying the car back from her to fix so I'm going by what the dealer said. They had it over a month and did the full check of the car, but it was cost prohibitive for them to resolve.

it was a pita getting the tank off the old one even after everything was removed. Dealer wants 2500 to do the job. It's a 2005 Volvo xc90 2.5 AWD with only 130K on it, Brand new tires, Bosch Quiet cast Rotors and brakes (I put them all on)

and I'm buying it back as is for 800 bucks, so it's a steal if I can get it back together. Less than what I originally paid for the tires. I hope to have it here in a couple weeks to start working on it.

It does have some other issues, like a broken rear wiper, bad rear door handle and mechanism and torn drivers side rear door seal, all the parts I was able to also get off the donor. Plus it has the new fuel pump (orielys) which has receipt so I could swap it out if I need to . I got the original one in the spare tank as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------- Time goes by.....-------------------------------------------------

Started work in the 2005 Volvo. Its a real mess. Was able to drive it home 45 miles with 2 inches of water above the carpets. The Anti Skid unit underwater. Hope to grab the one out of thats parts truck. Anyways I was able to start drying it out, Got 90 % of the water out and did a repair to both sunroof drains as shown in the pictures. Both had shrunk from heat and where a whole 2 inches away from the rubber 90 angles. both had of course been dumper all rain right into the truck all summer. I got some plastic tube that the originals fit in and then used clear silicon to attach them and seal up where they pass into the drain of the a pillar. rained all week and no more water inside from it

Today I was able to remove all the seats, side panels etc in prep for pulling out the carpet and matting both can be saved with a good shampoo and drying I think and a good soak in some anti mold solution there was mold growing in the rear carpets.

Also replaced the rear wiper motor and arm, and the rear door hatch handle with parts for the donor both like new and working great now. Getting the 3rd row out was a little bit of a job

Learning as I go here, working on getting the center column out now.

Carpet all out took all day but was able to use wet dry to suck remaining water. The carpets where bone dry but I got 4.5 gallons out of it not including what's trapped in the foam padding. everything sitting outside to dry then the cleaning/repair begins. not a bad days work.

--- Next day---

More today, Waiting on tool to remove fuel pump ring. Took off the fuel filter and cut it open only to find it clean. I was told that this tank was full of rust This fuel filter has 300 miles on it and not a speck in it. Still going to pull out the fuel pump and endoscope tank. Maybe lager crap in there..

Took all carpet and parts out and gave everything a good power washing and shampoo. aside from a few small stains, it looks almost new and the smells all gone. Only a the front parts dried enough to put back in but the front is all but back together sans seats.

Check a wire connector the was below water line and sure enough it was burnt inside. from outside it looked fine have soldered the wires and water proofed.

Plan it to troubleshoot this fuel issue. Replace all vacuum lines. Replace Timing belt and tensioner. New spark plugs/wires. Compression test on the engine itself. Replace exhaust and replace suspension parts needing it. It has 175K on it. I believe that timing belt is original. Scary to me. With fuel issues I'm fully expecting Cats to be shot. maybe get lucky who knows. It's due for o2 sensors as well.

Ordered the spanner tool for the fuel pump, a new fuel filter, and the Volvo diagnostic OB2 computer that has gotten good reviews and is able to clear the Air bag fault...yes I turned the key with the seats out...sigh..

--- Today ---

Thats where I'm at waiting on the spanner to show up tomorrow so I can pull the fuel pump and endoscope the tank. Since that fuel filter was so clean I have high home. Everything from dash to rear seats is back in

Old 10-30-2018, 07:19 PM

location of burnt connector
If anyone could tell me what the burnt plug is for. it was in the drivers side kick panel at floor height and it's part of the wire loom that runs down the floor to the rear. If can get a picture of it better to show location if thats hard to read. It the only connector there.

Last edited by cgerrells; 10-30-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 10-30-2018, 07:57 PM

carpet came out good. at first I was thinking I may have to replace but it's fine

Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 PM

Here is an endoscope of the tank. It seems fine with a tiny amount of crap in it. Maybe parts from the original fuel pump? maybe from crappy gas somewhere who knows. it almost felt like some sand. all in all not enough to fill a teaspoon.

The video is jerky, its a 15 foot cable with a camera and lights at end... hart to not shake.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That connector is for the leak detection pump.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
That connector is for the leak detection pump.
Thank You!!

That would explain the CEL. once I figure out what fuel pump I need to order to replace the current one and get the power back on, it will be interesting to see if that will clear.

I'm going to ask the fuel pump question here as well as start a new topic on it cause I'm guess a lot of people run into this issue.

YV1CZ592151192965 is the vin number. It's a 2005 xc90 2.5. AWD.

Guy who worked on it put a 30761747 in it. It's a 7 pin. And listed and "does not fit on all the sites I can find. I know it came from O'Reillys. And think its this pump... Oreilly pump

I think I would need a 30761745. I have a spare tank/fuel pump from another 2005 but it turned out to be a 5 pin 30761742.

Any help here would be welcome.

Found engine code also, 135254T2