Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First XC90 and already frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question/Concern on my new (to me) XC90 Axle Shaft

Just purchased a 2007 Volvo XC90 AWD 3.2L (chassis 360932) from a private seller and now the front right axle/CV shaft needs replacing. Volvo said I need P/N: 36001221, which the cheapest I've found is $528 plus $75 core charge and $30 for shipping.

The seller agreed to pay half of the parts and labor cost but the dealership wants almost $900. I'm hoping to find an aftermarket axle shaft that'll fit to save some cash. I did find one for a decent price and it's a result when I search for my make, model and year. However, underneath the part it says it fits the following:

First Equipment Quality Axle Shaft Assembly - Front Right P/N: W0133-1778342
Vehicle Sub Model Chassis Range Engine
• 2007 Volvo XC90 AWD to 367133 4.4L V8

Again, my chassis is 360932 so it fits within the range. But does my 3.2L and the 4.4L have the same transmissions and drive systems? I'm trying to determine if this part will still fit and function on my vehicle even though it's stated for the V8. I've been told they have the same transmissions whether or not it's the inline 6 or V8 but I want to be certain. Any assistance on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone has a link to the part I need for a good price please let me know. I'm hoping to get this repaired by next week because it's my wife's daily drive and the vehicle my two children are always transported in.

P.S. - I've already contacted raxles.com and they do not offer the axle shaft that I need, unfortunately!

EDIT: I just ran across a page that has engine and tranny info year-by-year for the XC90's:

2007 XC90 3.2
Chassis: XC90 , Engine: B6324S
Transmission / final drive ratio: TF-80SC / 0.00:1
Notes: 235 HP. AWD.[VOLVO]
2007 XC90 T6
Chassis: XC90 , Engine: B8444S
Transmission / final drive ratio: TF-80SC / 0.00:1
Notes: 268 HP. AWD. [VOLVO]

So should I be ok ordering the above FEQ part?

Last edited by StreetRat; 02-05-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Same trans does not mean the same axle.. I would have to check the part numbers to makd sure.

Also, I wouldn't cheap out on some crappy aftermarket axle. I've seen problems with them.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Same trans does not mean the same axle.. I would have to check the part numbers to makd sure.

Also, I wouldn't cheap out on some crappy aftermarket axle. I've seen problems with them.
I went with a original volvo axle that I ordered from Tasca... took it in to the stealership and got it installed. And GUESS WHAT the noise is still there. After inspecting the old axle I cant see anything wrong with it, so I spent over $700 in parts/labor for no reason. What do you guys think I should do? I already told the service manager that they didn't fix the noise (originally they said it was the front right strut so the previous owner paid $1254 for new front struts, mounts and seats) and I'm bringing it back on Tuesday next week. Its obvious now they have no Fing clue whats making the noise...

Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to the swedespeed.com xc90 forum and read the sticky about noise coming from right front.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by schumicat
go to the swedespeed.com xc90 forum and read the sticky about noise coming from right front.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out and see what I can come up with.

However, I will never take this vehicle back to Volvo. When I had it there yesterday they are now saying the noise is from the worn control arm bushings. And I was pissed cuz they wouldn't help me on the price even though they've worked on it twice and replaced the wrong parts both times.

Also, when I went to pick it up there was mud all over it! I asked the service manager WHY it was now covered in mud. She acted all surprised and said she would ask her mechanic who test drove it. She came back and said 'oh he said there was lots of mud and water in the road right down here so that's why' I called them on bull**** because that's the same way I just drove in and there's no moisture or mud on the road. Plus there were west texas sticker burrs in every tire so I know they took it off-raid somewhere!

The service manager wouldn't let me go to the back to talk to the technician myself and he was too cowardly to come up feint and answer my questions himself. I told her to tell him that he's a terrible liar!

Anyways, the old axle that I have sitting in the garage is does not have any torn or leaking boots like the speakership originally told me. And the bearing spins freely and is still smooth, but you can barely hear it when hand spinning it. Is this a sign that the bearing is going bad? Cuz if it's still good I was considering sending the new axle shaft back and putting the old one back in. That way I can come up with the money to buy two new front control arms IF that is in fact what's wrong...

What do you guys think?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think you should contact Volvo Customer Care.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM

I thought part of the customer care from Volvo dealership is that you get a free car wash after the work has been done?? That's what told by my adviser.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Volvo Customer Care is the main customer service department for Volvo Cars of North America. If there is a problem with a dealership, they should be contacted if a resolution through the dealership is not available. It has nothing to do with car washes, which is totally dependent on the dealer, which is independently owned and operated. There is no policy that says they all must wash the car, though most dealerships do.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM

Can you please give me more info on how I can contact Volvo Customer Care? I would definitely like to do this...

And this dealership does have a car wash but we had a spuds storm the day they somehow managed to get it caked in mud, even though they denied it, so their car wash was closed.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I can't link to it because I'm using my phone, but you can find it on volvocars.us and click Contact Us at the bottom left

Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 AM

Vovlo is definitely stringing you on. But my question is why kind of noise were you hearing etc form the beginning to bring it in?

If you would have provided vehicle history as well. At-least the mileage it would really help a most of us give you a general idea about what parts begin to wear out at that mileage.

If you are getting odd vibrations, or hearing noises when turning etc. It is normally a suspension problem. Could be the bushings in the control arms as they alluded to. It could also be an engine mount cracking, transmission mount (relatively cheap parts). Could also be sub frame bushings.

This is part of the reason I joined this site. 2 years ago I barely knew what a spark plug was. I got so pissed off at my local Volvo and Transmission shop I swore them off. Been watching you tube video's. Reading the site.

I bought a jack, jack stand, mechanics tool set, etc. Have done quite a bit of work myself. It is just so hard to find an actual mechanic you can trust. Never in a million years did I think I would semi become a car person. But once you start on a few simple jobs you kinda want to tell these jerkoffs to go to hell. Because they really do string you along more often than not.

Volvo Dealerships work see these issues every day. Especially on a 7 year old car. They know what common symptoms after all these come in. But they will flat out deny it. The more you learn and know. The better off you can call out these jerks.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby
Vovlo is definitely stringing you on. But my question is why kind of noise were you hearing etc form the beginning to bring it in?

If you would have provided vehicle history as well. At-least the mileage it would really help a most of us give you a general idea about what parts begin to wear out at that mileage.

If you are getting odd vibrations, or hearing noises when turning etc. It is normally a suspension problem. Could be the bushings in the control arms as they alluded to. It could also be an engine mount cracking, transmission mount (relatively cheap parts). Could also be sub frame bushings.

This is part of the reason I joined this site. 2 years ago I barely knew what a spark plug was. I got so pissed off at my local Volvo and Transmission shop I swore them off. Been watching you tube video's. Reading the site.

I bought a jack, jack stand, mechanics tool set, etc. Have done quite a bit of work myself. It is just so hard to find an actual mechanic you can trust. Never in a million years did I think I would semi become a car person. But once you start on a few simple jobs you kinda want to tell these jerkoffs to go to hell. Because they really do string you along more often than not.

Volvo Dealerships work see these issues every day. Especially on a 7 year old car. They know what common symptoms after all these come in. But they will flat out deny it. The more you learn and know. The better off you can call out these jerks.
It has a little over 118k miles on it now. And there are really two different noises... Both coming from the same front right wheel well area. The first is a constant grinding/rubbing noise that's heard whenever the wheels are turning. But the second noise is a metallic banging/clunking noise that's heard most commonly when going over bumps, but I have heard it once or twice when turning and backing up out of the driveway. Not sure if this is the same clunking I hear as the one when going over bumps or not, but they do sound similar.

So far Volvo has replaced the front struts, seats and mounts and the front right axle shaft. I'd like to get a little more advice on what to check out before I start taking things apart and searching for the culprit. Volvos service dept. says it's the control arm bushings, which could be a possibility, but I don't entertain their idiocy anymore.

What do you guys think these noises I've described could be caused from?

Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the clunk sounds like a sway bar bushing or some other bushing. if they said control arm that's probably it. the grinding noise sounds like a wheel bearing (especially if the noise is better or worse depending on which way the wheel is pointing) or something rubbing on the brake rotor.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by StreetRat
It has a little over 118k miles on it now. And there are really two different noises... Both coming from the same front right wheel well area. The first is a constant grinding/rubbing noise that's heard whenever the wheels are turning. But the second noise is a metallic banging/clunking noise that's heard most commonly when going over bumps, but I have heard it once or twice when turning and backing up out of the driveway. Not sure if this is the same clunking I hear as the one when going over bumps or not, but they do sound similar.

So far Volvo has replaced the front struts, seats and mounts and the front right axle shaft. I'd like to get a little more advice on what to check out before I start taking things apart and searching for the culprit. Volvos service dept. says it's the control arm bushings, which could be a possibility, but I don't entertain their idiocy anymore.

What do you guys think these noises I've described could be caused from?
Definitely, sounds like a suspension issue to me.

Ok, usually when the grinding when turning noise is heard that is the bushings in the control arms beginning to go out. Usually when you replace the control arms it is best to just to the ball joints at the same time.

Other possibilities for noises are the Engine mount and the transmission mount. Both have rubber bushings in them that fail. You might be hearing the engine shift because it is no longer secure with these parts failing. Not sure on the XC90 but the engine mount should be easy to see with the hood lifted and the transmission mount with the car jacked up or on ramps. (You may be able to crawl under since it is a SUV). Again I have never looked under a XC90 but if it is like most Volvos of that era. If you have replace either of these. If you have the right metric tools they are normally easy to do yourself. Can probably find a you-tube video on it.

One other post could be right as well the sway bar end links could be bad as well. Usually if these are taken off not that complicated you can see if the rubber had worn off as well. I have never personally seen these fail but it is a possibility and the parts are usually about $50 for each end link on each side of the vehicle. Again if you have a proper jack stands and pry bar and the right metric tools these would not be too complicated to replace yourself. (Any suspension work, both sides must be jacked up evenly! Learned this the hard way)

The other hard to determine possibility is the sub-frame bushings. I am not as familar with the XC90's. But usually when these fail you have much more easy toggle in the steering. Sometimes when you make like gradual turns on something like the freeway it feels like the wheels have a life of their own.

Last edited by stop_at_willoughby; 03-30-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by stop_at_willoughby
Definitely, sounds like a suspension issue to me.

Ok, usually when the grinding when turning noise is heard that is the bushings in the control arms beginning to go out. Usually when you replace the control arms it is best to just to the ball joints at the same time.

Other possibilities for noises are the Engine mount and the transmission mount. Both have rubber bushings in them that fail. You might be hearing the engine shift because it is no longer secure with these parts failing. Not sure on the XC90 but the engine mount should be easy to see with the hood lifted and the transmission mount with the car jacked up or on ramps. (You may be able to crawl under since it is a SUV). Again I have never looked under a XC90 but if it is like most Volvos of that era. If you have replace either of these. If you have the right metric tools they are normally easy to do yourself. Can probably find a you-tube video on it.

One other post could be right as well the sway bar end links could be bad as well. Usually if these are taken off not that complicated you can see if the rubber had worn off as well. I have never personally seen these fail but it is a possibility and the parts are usually about $50 for each end link on each side of the vehicle. Again if you have a proper jack stands and pry bar and the right metric tools these would not be too complicated to replace yourself. (Any suspension work, both sides must be jacked up evenly! Learned this the hard way)

The other hard to determine possibility is the sub-frame bushings. I am not as familar with the XC90's. But usually when these fail you have much more easy toggle in the steering. Sometimes when you make like gradual turns on something like the freeway it feels like the wheels have a life of their own.
The weather is supposed to be nice today so I'm going to jack up the vehicle and start checking things out for wear. Once I do start ordering parts do you guys know of any good online retailers that are best to order from? I know of rmeuropean.com and autohausaz.com that I've used for my BMW parts but figured there might be somewhere better for Volvo parts. And have any of you used the Meyle HD parts or should I just stick with Lemfoerder?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM

You can check out Eeuroparts, fcpeuro, and rockauto. I often bought parts of amazon as well. Some site will have illustrated diagrams and parts number for the ease of shopping.

Best of luck.

Jay

Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 PM

I prefer IPD USA for my Volvo parts. I am sure some of the other sites are good as well. Just gotten accustomed to buying everything pretty much from the same place.

Meyle parts are usually pretty good.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:37 PM

The weather is supposed to be nice today so I'm going to jack up the vehicle and start checking things out for wear. Once I do start ordering parts do you guys know of any good online retailers that are best to order from? I know of rmeuropean.com and autohausaz.com that I've used for my BMW parts but figured there might be somewhere better for Volvo parts. And have any of you used the Meyle HD parts or should I just stick with Lemfoerder?
And never mind, the wind was ridiculous today. Strong enough to close the hood by itself so I'm gonna work on it another day.

I forgot to mention that when braking it slightly yaws to the left while the steering wheel stays put. I didn't know if this could be related to where the noise is coming from our something completely different. Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 AM

And never mind, the wind was ridiculous today. Strong enough to close the hood by itself so I'm gonna work on it another day.

I forgot to mention that when braking it slightly yaws to the left while the steering wheel stays put. I didn't know if this could be related to where the noise is coming from our something completely different. Any ideas?
Again sounds like a suspension issue. I would basically go through the checklist I gave you. Since you are hearing grinding when you turn I would look first at Control Arms.

Recently on my Volvo, I replace all the suspension on my car. The Control Arms/Ball joints. Replaced the engine mount, the transmission mount was ok so I left it. I still hear a little scratching noise when I take take a corner getting onto the freeway or something like that. I am pretty sure it is the Sub frame bushings. As on 175k car I would imagine the rubber bushings would be failing. I am waiting on a Polyurethane bushing insert filler that is on 15 day back order from IPD, rather trying to do the nasty job of replacing all 4 sub frame bushings.

But basically anytime any of those suspension components begin to fail the engine has the ability to shift. That is why when taking sharp turns engine will sway to one side. Going up hills or over bumps, etc. I am not a mechanic but from my experience and what I have seen. Unless you can visually inspect each part and it looks good. Once you get up in the 150k range on a vehicle. Can be even a bit lower. Probably about time to do all the redo all the front end suspension if you plan on keeping the car.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 AM

I aslo advise you to contact Volvo Customer Care.

Quick Reply: My First XC90 and already frustrated!