Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reclining seats in the middle row

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reclining seats in the middle row

Hello!

We recently bought a 2005 XC90. We had shopped around for new and used XC90's and I thought the seats reclined in the middle row, am I remembering this wrong? After we purchased our car I realized that our seats don't recline. Is that because it is an older model? Is there any way to modify the seats? It was a pretty important feature for us since we take a lot of road trips and have 3 kids.

Thanks,
Megan

Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: reclining seats in the middle row

Hi meganc731,

Welcome to Volvo Forums! There's a great bunch here, lots to look around at and learn . Hopefully you'll enjoy your visits back hereas much as I do.

We also have a 2005 XC90. I did a doublecheck earlier today and could not find a way to recline the middle row of seats. They fold forward of course, but no further back than the upright and locked position.

Ichecked in the owners manual. Pages 62-64 refer to middle row seat adjustments, as they are on tracks, and also how to fold them forward, but nothing at all on how to make them recline.

I still have the sales brochure for the 2005 model, and looking through it there's nothing in there that talks abouta reclining feature either.

Unless there's a trick I don't seeI have to assume that the middle rowseats do not recline on the '05's.

I'm not aware of a modification to make them recline, but you may want to give your dealership a call (assuming you bought it from a dealer) and ask them if there's anything like that available as an upgrade to your seats.

As another thought, assuming the newer model yearXC90's offer a reclining middle row (check with a dealer) you might inquire from them if they could order one and replace your existing middle row of seats.

Sorry I'm not more help,

bluemagicbus

Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Hi,
Unfortunately you're remembering this wrong. The only reclineable seats on the XC90 are the front seats. Hopfully Volvo will take notice and add reclinable 2nd row seats as this would be a creat feature. If you have 3rd row seats, the 2nd row seats can be adjusted forward/backward separately.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks so much for the responses! I really appreciate it Before purchasing the car I was a frequent lurker, I knew I'd get some answers if I came here.

So far we love having a Volvo, we found it through a private seller, but it worked out better for all if the seller traded it in when he bought his new car then we bought it from the dealer. One of the reasons we bought this car is because it has a 100,000 mile warranty or it expires in 2011. We flew to Orlando to buy it which is a 14 hour drive from home, about 2 hours after we bought it, the navigation system quit working. I felt so sick to my stomach when it happened because I wasn't sure it was covered under the warranty. Once we got the car home we called our local Volvo dealership to see if it was covered, we were able to take it in the next day, they offered us a loaner, and even washed it before they gave it back to us. It was so awesome! I'm glad we made the decision to buy this car. I wanted to buy an XC90 brand new, but I wasn't sure it would work for our family and I would prefer to make a $30,000 mistake rather than a $60,000 mistake. So far we're so happy with it that when we're ready, we'll probably replace it with a brand new one.

Thanks again!
Megan

Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Hopefully you'll stop lurking and jump on in here a bit more often; this is a fun place! It would be goodto seemore of thewomen's thoughts on the word association game in the off topics forum for instance.

Glad to read that your first dealer experience was a good one, it's a good feeling to have one you can work with comfortably. My wife and I are fortunate that our dealer has been great to work with also.

One thing about your Volvo that you should know.... the longer you own it, the more you'll love it! They really are fantastic vehicles