Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Takspeed Stainless Steel Brake lines/ how to..kinda

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Takspeed Stainless Steel Brake lines/ how to..kinda

After 150,000 miles on what looks like the original rubber brake lines, my XC90 deserves a brake
Takspeed Stainless Steel Brake lines in blue (part #vol1301) were ordered $107 shipped. Not bad considering elevate's lines were $179, Goodrich was $150 and Wilwood didnt even make a set for this SUV.
Ordered on a Monday morning(US Holiday too) got it by Friday.:tup:

Quality looks really good, length was correct, fittings done nicely.:tup:

Tools and parts required:
13mm Flare wrench
14mm flare wrench
7/16 flare wrench
3/8" inside diameter clear vinyl tubing $0.20ft at home depot / lowes hardware stores. get 3 feet
one live human being that is good at taking directions
minimum 1pint of quality brake fluid depending on how much you are flushing, i did 1 quart :arob:

Did it in this order: right rear, left rear, right front then finally front left.

Here's some tips,
1: start with the 13mm on the line that comes from the car, it is the wrench on the right in the picture below

2. use the 14mm to remover the other end of the line from the caliper
3: i used a clear tube to bleed the brakes, alot less mess. i kept bleeding it till there was no more air bubbles in the line.

4: pictured here is the front lines. this rubber gasket will keep you from taking off the 14mm end of the brake line from the caliper. take a pair of cutters and snip it off. you replacing the lines anyways

thats all she wrote, here are some installed pics before after

5: if you are remotely thinking about doing this with just a regular open end wrench, YOU WILL BE SORRY. i have stripped many of brake lines on other cars because i didnt have the proper tools. beg borrow or steal to get the correct tools for the job
Impressions after install?

* Pedal feels harder but i only have about 40 miles on the new lines and new front pads and rotors, tough call.
* brakes do have a more sensitive feel, i am sure it will get more sensitive once the pads break in. i'll give feedback after another 200+ miles

Worth it? In my case yes because the lines were rusted under the protecive cover in the front and getting dry rotted in the rear lines. plus after 150k, any soft of rubber item will degrade over time, it was preventive maintenance/ performance upgrade
Level of difficulty 1 to 10 (10 hardest) = 2
Time: 1.5hrs plus i changed the front pads too
Btw- it was 12 degrees out today in Philadelphia, good thing i have a heated garage @ a toasty 63 degrees :lol: