Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling, or just has no motivation

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling, or just has no motivation

Okay, I made it home. I started out this evening, on a roughly a 30 mile trip. I made it to my destination, then on my way home, I was throttle-ling up to get onto the highway, a new exhaust type noise started. I remember a similar noise when I had first had issues with the crankcase vent system. Then I was worried that it wasn't happy, and the road construction zone I was heading into was not going to be the best place for my car to die. You know what that means, I suspected it was going to die. and it did. (I feel the rocky horror Picture movie show theme)

Facts: new noise on the exhaust seems to limit my use of the turbo.
2. Once it died, it would start, idle about 12 to 1500 RPM's, then de-accelerate to normal, then drop to dead. I could do this any number of times, I could feather the throttle, and it will continue to run, until the idle got below a threshold. (once it just died at about 1500 RPMs.
3. I waited an hour before calling a tow, about 1.5 hours later, I tried it, after the tow was in route, and it started. (second attempt)
4. I did notice some oil on the steering device, under the turbo. I could not look up at the turbo to see if the leak was coming from it or not. (that is my thought thou). I was going to have it towed to the closest dealership, (7 miles from that place)
5. should not have gotten Dairy Queen, it died there as well. and I am about an hour since walking from there to my house. ( a mile walk)

Okay, I am about to head down to DQ to attempt to retrieve my car.

History snapshot, The turbo was removed, and rebuilt at a Diesel place, local to Minneapolis. I had exercised the turbo once earlier today. I seem to work really good. (I heard that if you don't exercise your turbo, the oil will jell.) My oil does seem ot have a smell to it. Maybe its the sea-foam from when I was doing the PVC system/timing belt. It is time for an oil change.

Tobie
XC90 2005 2.5T

PS. I made it home, from Dairy Queen. I had to drive it like a firetruck with pump and roll capability. (I had rev the RPM's to 2k, and use the brake to control speed.) otherwise it would just die. I did notice a clunk noise after it would die. I guess it can sit in the drive way until I can afford the trip to the dealership/or next best thing. I dont know if it helped, but I did turn off DTCS option.

Last edited by arfstrom; 09-09-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added experience from drive home
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Unhappy I made a video, any comments?

Okay, I made a YouTube video, Volume is loud once I start the car, and then again when I got it running, and then I gunned it. so don't have you volume up too loud.

So my first suspicion is that I recall a change to the exhaust noise, and I know the turbo is connected the the exhaust, if something blow out there. in the pic I included on this post, seems some leakage is happening from that black cover.

Thanks for any thoughts
Tobie

Attached Thumbnails Stalling, or just has no motivation-0912161208c.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Thumbs up Solved

Solved, my problem was the intake hose dropped from the throttle body. Which of coarse made a different noise when it was disconnected from the throttle body.

Hope this helps someone. That and a oil change. costed me 2bills.
Tobie