Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt information about change times...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing belt information about change times...

Originally Posted by rspi
Whenever I do a timing belt job, I usually have all parts on deck. Then I inspect the parts closely and decide what I'm going to replace. All parts over 10 years old gets replaced. Loose rollers get replaced, along with any leaking parts.

Worn timing belt parts, why you need to change them - Auto Information Series - YouTube

RSPI, I always appreciate your efforts to make DIY Videos.

1.Since we are talking about replacement stuff, I recently got my timings belt changed along camshaft seals. But as per mechanic rest of the items Idler pulley, tensioner, water pump all ok. But just after 2 weeks I heard noises from the Timing belt area which I only hear on early start up and sound goes away once car gets warm, but from a week now, I heard nothing, all seems ok. As per mechanic tensioner adjusted itself after few days driving.

2. Today when I started my car early morning and i thought to open hood for general inspection and found out that Sepertine belt tensioner is moving slightly (up/down or back forth) on a high RPM but as soon RPM became normal tensioner stopped moving(up/down or back forth)

Regards,

Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

On the early white block, the normal practice use to be, change the belt only the first change, then everything every other change. Well, with these cars over 10 years old and most do not have history, it's best to do it every time unless you are sure about history, condition, etc.

Now, the newer cars have a longer belt change interval, 100,000+. I would not chance those parts going another 100,000 miles. To risky. Going from 70,000 to 140,000 is one thing, going from 100,000 to 200,000 in another thing. Most parts won't make it and the belt is the rare thing to fail.

I had a 960 that I replaced the belt on at 59,000. At 86,000 I was hearing cold start noise. I checked with my buddy and he said that I needed to change the belt rollers because 1 was bad. I pulled the belt and sure enough the idler roller was so tight that I could barely turn it with 2 hands. I'm sure that roller would have failed and tossed the belt soon. Bad situation. I rarely replace cam seals, only if leaking. But would highly recommend replacing rollers if they spin freely. They should be tight.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 AM

On the early white block, the normal practice use to be, change the belt only the first change, then everything every other change. Well, with these cars over 10 years old and most do not have history, it's best to do it every time unless you are sure about history, condition, etc.

Now, the newer cars have a longer belt change interval, 100,000+. I would not chance those parts going another 100,000 miles. To risky. Going from 70,000 to 140,000 is one thing, going from 100,000 to 200,000 in another thing. Most parts won't make it and the belt is the rare thing to fail.

I had a 960 that I replaced the belt on at 59,000. At 86,000 I was hearing cold start noise. I checked with my buddy and he said that I needed to change the belt rollers because 1 was bad. I pulled the belt and sure enough the idler roller was so tight that I could barely turn it with 2 hands. I'm sure that roller would have failed and tossed the belt soon. Bad situation. I rarely replace cam seals, only if leaking. But would highly recommend replacing rollers if they spin freely. They should be tight.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for detailed information. My Car ran over 171000 KM, and I have complete maintenance history. After your reply I took out the Timing belt upper cover and let the car running for a while or so. Belt was at a normal temperature after turning it off, I don't know if this act give some sign of roller's failure. Whats your advice? OR I have to take the belt off, though I know that will be more recommended but for this I have to visit my mechanic.

By the way before replacing timing belt I search all over the internet to find the exact video, but yesterday I found out. And I suggest please whichever Volvo's car's engines are same or at least similar, please tag the video with that model as well. I found S80 and 960 Timing belt change are the same.

Regards

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The Volvo timing belt kit comes with the idler and mechanical tensioner so I replace those every time. If it has a hydraulic tensioner piston, I only replace it if leaking. Same with the water pump. And the S80 timing belt procedure is not the same as the 960. Similar engine but not the same.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by majorcode
By the way before replacing timing belt I search all over the internet to find the exact video, but yesterday I found out. And I suggest please whichever Volvo's car's engines are same or at least similar, please tag the video with that model as well. I found S80 and 960 Timing belt change are the same.
I have no idea what car you are trying to find a timing belt replacement video for. Maybe it's the '05 XC90. If that is the case, you need to disclose which motor you have. After you disclose that information, maybe someone can lead you in the right directions, because I have NO IDEA what the proper procedure is for replacing the belt on the XC90 vehicles.

To the OP, it appears that your mileage thread has been jacked and has morphed into a timing belt maintenance thread. If this continues, I will extract the post and create a thread for them.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM

I have no idea what car you are trying to find a timing belt replacement video for. Maybe it's the '05 XC90. If that is the case, you need to disclose which motor you have. After you disclose that information, maybe someone can lead you in the right directions, because I have NO IDEA what the proper procedure is for replacing the belt on the XC90 vehicles.

To the OP, it appears that your mileage thread has been jacked and has morphed into a timing belt maintenance thread. If this continues, I will extract the post and create a thread for them.
Hi, today I drove over 100 KM and then check the Timing belt by touching it which I found little hotter than serpentine belt but not that hotter I can touch the belt easily and no sign of any groves or excess harsh usage of Timing belt. Plus no noise coming even checked on High RPM (2000). Any idea or I have to take it the mechanic for the check up which I am afraid as have to drive far. And as per diagnose do I have to take the timing belt off to check the pulleys, If not then I can check it myself.

I was searching for my S80 1999, by the way I like my S80 1999 more than XC90, S80 is more comfortable. But facing lots of maintenance issues then XC90 which I think normal for s80 as per Internet gurus says.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Well, I'm kind of lost now. You really can't inspect a timing belt or their parts by touching them, where did you get that information from? The parts are to be time changed. If they have reached their mileage time change schedule, change them. The belt and the rollers. If for some reason you have the belt off, oil leak, other engine work, etc., and you questions if you need to replace some parts since the belt if off, you can inspect a part when the belt is off. If it is time to change the belt, at a minimum you need to have the belt and rollers replaced (especially on cars that have a schedule change of more than 100,000 miles / 160,000 km).