Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Fast-Blink

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal Fast-Blink

I'm having an issue with the turn signal & multi-function computer on our 2005 XC90. It seems (especially in colder weather) that the turn signal blinker seems to skip a beat and blink twice as fast every 3 or 4 blinks. At the same time, I've noticed the multi-function computer skipping through it's display settings, to average MPG, instant MPG, miles to empty, etc. and then stopping at some random display about a half second later.

Possibly related, the stereo likes to skip ahead, as if the steering wheel button for "next" is being pressed randomly. This only happens when the weather is cold, not once all summer.

I've replaced the turn signal stalk, and it made not difference at all.

Any help on what causes this? I'd be most grateful! Besides these haunting issues, we love the XC90.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of it sounds like a connection problem with the electricity. My old car used to blink twice as fast when it was wet out side (I live in Florida, it rains a lot). I found out that the light was about to die in the blinker, and it caused the system to spazz out the same as you are describing. I also had a battery connection issue in the car. That was due to again where I live and the wild life chewing on things in/under the car (it was not a junker by far, just live by the everglades with lots of small critters). Maybe check the battery, and check the bulbs in the lights to see if any are on the last bit of life.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Thank you so much! Very grateful for the feedback. Will have to start checking bulbs. Had an idea that it must be something in the steering column wiring since all of those issues have that in common.

Did your bulb/battery issues cause the multi-function computer to scroll to a different view, too?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It caused the entire dash to spazz out. The infotainment system also changed and blinked. Once I put a new battery in the vehicle, changed the bulbs, and checked the fuses in the vehicle, all went back to normal. I forgot to mention I had two fuses out. They had went bad apparently when the battery was dying. Most auto stores will do a free battery life check. My battery at the time was running at less than 30%.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 AM

So happy to hear that... Hopeful that we'll have a similar experience. Now that I think of it, I had a Toyota Avalon that did a crazy dashboard/alarm/lights spazz-out once when I got a battery with a bad cell in it. Freaked me out!