Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

volvo xc90 parking break not fully released

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo xc90 parking break not fully released

Greetings, I am in a 2019 XC90 for about 2 weeks with about 300 miles and twice now I have gotten this error message "parking break not fully released". The car continues to operate normally but the alarm chime sounds continuously. Both times the error cleared after parking but it has to be parked for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

The bad news is the dealer saw the errors logged and gave it back to me saying "it must be a glitch". That's really not a good response for a brand new 70,000 car problem but I will remain hopeful that it doesn't lead to future problems.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions or ideas on what's going on.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've done a few parking brake motors on the new XC90s. Each time they have been permanent faults though.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Greetings, I am in a 2019 XC90 for about 2 weeks with about 300 miles and twice now I have gotten this error message "parking break not fully released". The car continues to operate normally but the alarm chime sounds continuously. Both times the error cleared after parking but it has to be parked for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

The bad news is the dealer saw the errors logged and gave it back to me saying "it must be a glitch". That's really not a good response for a brand new 70,000 car problem but I will remain hopeful that it doesn't lead to future problems.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions or ideas on what's going on.
It is a rare software glitch. You can reset the module my pulling up on the parking brake switch and holding it up as you start the engine. Same applies to errors with the brake auto-hold button - if that function is disabled, try the following: turn off the car completely, press the button in and hold it in as you start the engine. After reset, the functions should return provided there errors don't come back when you try to use them. If these do not reset the errors or the errors come back when attempting to use these functions, you have a real problem worth fixing (bad wiring, faulty sensors, bad actuators... typically hardware failure.) Similar resets exist in other parts in the vehicle.