Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC-90 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC-90 Check Engine Light

Everyone:
My wife drives a 2006 XC-90 with 56,000 miles (just out of warranty). During are vacation a month ago the check engine light (CEL) came on. I pulled over, and there was no oil in the engine[:'(]. I immediately filled it up and we continued our other 200 miles to our destination since there was no knocking, the engine wasn't running hot, etc.

Once we got home, I took it in to the dealership and explained the story and that I thought there was an oil leak (even though I didn't have to add anymore oil after I filled it up). They said there was no engine damage or oil leak but they could reset the CEL($40) and there was a computer upgrade for the car ($80). I went ahead and had the upgrade done. They said this should fix the CEL and we shouldn't have any other issues, but they couldn't promise anything. The CEL stayed off for a day and was back on[:@].

Made another appointment and took it in. This time they did some other checks and removed the light again ($80). My wife mentioned that we just had the car in last week and they cut that down to $40. They said that if the light comes back on then they will have to order some parts and this ATTEMPTED fix will cost several $100s.*$&#*&$*#@&![:@]

My receipt write-up from the dealership says "ECM 439C major leak code found in system 0.50 possible leak diagnostic unit faultcleared codes from system-ecm software already up to dateperformed leak pump test/tested OK-no driveability issue related to concern."

Well the CEL is back on after a week. [:@]

My question is: Has anyone heard of something like this? What am I looking at (issue, cost, continuing to drive the car)? I am just extremely frustrated that I've had the car in the dealership soon to be a 3rd time in 3 weeks and they are only applying trial by error and charging me every step of the way. Is there anything I can do to stop this? This has been a great car and we've had no other major issues up until warranty +6K.

Advice?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XC-90 Check Engine Light

Hi, welcome to the forum. I haven't experienced those issues with our XC90 so can't give you specific answers. There might be others on here who can, give it a few days as it sometimes takes a while for everyone to chime in.

In the meantime here are some suggestions that you might consider to help get to the bottom of this issue:

Take it to a different Volvo dealer (or specialty shop that works on Volvo) fora second option,

Instead of paying the dealer to reset the CEL you can always go to your local auto parts store and have them check and clear the codes for you. Places that will do this at no charge include Autozone, Murrays and Advance Auto, and there may be others. It might behoove youtobuy things from them if you're going to be going back frequently, however.

You might also buy a diagnostic tool (OBDII?) that will clear the codes, this way you can keep track of what keeps coming up until it gets resolved.

When I was a field technician I always hated the intermittent problems and suppose everyone does.I agreehowever that for the dealership to continue to charge you while they go through the trial and error process of troubleshooting is very frustrating, not to mention costly.