Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 3.2 R design 2011

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post XC90 3.2 R design 2011

I really need some help out there....

I recently bought a 2011, XC90 and was loving it until i parked outside in a storm and somehow 24 hrs later the car has no power. It seems that somewhere along the lines the headlights which were off, turned themselves on and drained the battery. Fair enough you would think, fused.

The mechanic that came to assist starting the car showed me the fuse box under the steering wheel where it was clearly wet and the fuses had all melted. I get the car towed to a volvo garage who tell me the bonnet was full of water also and had water damage. They cannot find from where the water came in - though I insist as its under volvo warranty still that they pick up the bill. They have yet to agree.

Does anyone have any idea how the engine area could take in water and how to fix it? the computer is wiped and they insist this needs to be fixed first to see how bad the damage is.

who'd have thought a 4x4 cant deal with a heavy downpour!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there was street flooding and someone drove fast through it and created a wake it could send water into the car. I've seen that happen where water is lapping up to the door handles from the wake.

there should be drains in the cowl area. if the drains are plugged (leaves, etc.) rainwater could run under the hood (bonnett).

Last edited by schumicat; 01-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

THAT daNg SUNROOF DRAINS MAKE A 90 DEGREE ANGLE and if clogged will drain UNDER YOUR FLOOR MATS ...MY CAR KEPT DISPLAYING ALL KINDS OF CODES, SHORTS ETC.. WHEN THIS HAPPENED WHEN CAR WAS PARKED OUTSIDE AT BEACH AND WE HAD SERIOUS DOWNPOURS FOR 4 STRAIGHT DAYS. SINCE MY CAR IS GARAGED AT HOME IT HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED SEVERAL DAYS OF DOWNPOURS. THEN DEALERSHIP TRIES TO TELL ME IT IS MY FAULT BECAUSE THEIR SUNROOFS ARE DESIGNED TO TAKE ON WATER.. 'wtf' YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO ALLOW DEALER TO SERVICE THIS ONCE PER YEAR TO CLEAR YOUR DRAINS..COST 1242 TO HAVE DEALER TAKE OUT AND DRY OUT MY CARPETS..'PROFESSIONALLY' . MOISTURE GETS TRAPPED IN PADDING UP UNDER CARPETS AND UNLESS YOU REMOVE THEM YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE MOISTURE. SEVERAL ELECTRICAL LINES RUN IN THAT FLOOR BELOW THE PADDING- THOSE LINES ARE NOT WATERPROOF. NOTE; VOLVO WARRANTY will NOT cover this as they say it is the failure of the 'hose' leading from the sunroof. We paid 3k for that warranty. If it happened on a LINCOLN I bet it would have been fixed. MY WIFE SAYS 'NEVER AGAIN' our NEXT CAR WILL BE A LINCOLN MKX...SAME EQUIPMENT AS VOLVO BUT LESS PROBLEMS WITH MAINTENANCE. You now see why you don't see a lot of VOLVO's on the road anymore..when are they going to STOP forcing us by equipment choice to take cars with built in sunroofs.. We used to have a choice ; now with these packages you have no build choice-- time to seek another brand that allows choice or a better design.

Last edited by WoodinVirginia; 03-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.