Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc90 clicking sound when cold when accelerating and mirror issue

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc90 clicking sound when cold when accelerating and mirror issue

just purchsed a second volvo for my wife 03 t6 awd 60k

fully service at volvo till 10k ago,, perfect shape but two things

1 - auto fold in mirrors, when button pushed 1 goes in 1 goes out and vice versa when button pushed again, any ideas

2 - only when very cold and sitting for awhile, light clicking sound from underneath vehicle, goes away after 5 min of driving, putting into neutral stops clicking but comes back when u accelerate in drive,, if you apply brakes while steady foot on gas also goes away.

any ideas

otherwise vehicle is mint going to do oil change to synthetic like my 04 rawd tomorrow

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: xc90 clicking sound when cold when accelerating and mirror issue

Welcome to the forum.

As to the mirror, it seems like one of the wirings has been reversed, either at the switch or fuse compartment. See if you can dismantle the switch and reverse one of the wires, but do this with the ignition switch OFF and if you have any doubt, let a pro do it for you. Many interior trim parts can easily break if not handled right.

As to the clicking, I assume it is coming from the automatic valve lash adjusters. See if something is indicated in the owner's manual; the 850's manual does state that there may be light clicking until the engine warms up and it is normal.

JPN

Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clicking sound could be your drive shaft. I have an 04 T6 and noticed the exact same sound. the only way you have this sound is when it is cold, upon accelerating it goes away and after the vehicle has warmed up sufficiently it stops. I had mine checked and it turned out to be the drive shaft. The reason it happens it turned out for us was that the engine mounts were shot and the drive shaft was being moved around upon accelerating and breaking. Initially the first shop told us we would need a new driveshaft. I took it to a second guy who was the one who discovered the mounts and he replaced the mounts and now it is o.k.
Eventually we will have to replace the drive shaft but right now it is running fine.

If I had of just stayed with the first shop, they would have just replaced the drive shaft and never the mounts which caused the problem in the first place which would have led me to be in the same predicament further down the road.

This guy also replaced the engine torque mount?? it was shot as well.

finicky cars aren't they!

K.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clicking sound is probably the drive shaft as stated above, There is TNN for it to replace the front u-joint in the drive shaft.

As for the guy above me, I really dont see any Engine mounts being worn on a XC90, the Engine Torque mount which was replace would not cause the driveshaft to move and wear.

Sounds like you got the shaft.. the D/S does not have to be replaced, there is a kit to fix it.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM

I would beg to differ as to the engine mounts, mine were SHOT, I got to look at them they were falling apart. Once the new ones were replaced, the clicking stopped and has not returned. I don't think the XC90 is immune to any problem, In fact, they seem to run the gamut as far as things going wrong on them, just ask me I can list an endless list... sadly enough.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Id love to see pics of the mounts if you have them, I havent seen any mounts on the 90's going bad except for the Torque Bushing Mount, which is not limited to the xc90, also how many miles on your vehicle?

I just dont see mounts going bad on them, really not just them all of the vehicles, The only mounts i see go bad are the mounts on the pass side by the crank pully, and that is usally due to oil saturation.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:56 PM

ended up being propeller shaft being replaced, mint now

Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 PM

The torque bushing mount was replaced as was one the is down by the transmission?? I believe that is where they said it came from, I don't really think I was shafted on that as the noise has been resolved and hasn't returned. I don't have the piece any longer but it WAS shot, there was a ton of play in it and the part was just flopping.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM

i hope you didnt get the shaft, but that mount isnt really gonna do that. atleast i havent seen one, i bet they showed you a mount from another vehicle, however i hope i am wrong, as this wouldnt be the first time..

goodluck, all they would have to do you put some great in the front of the propshaft and the noise will go away for awhile..

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM

I don't know, it has been since Feb that we have had no problems. Our car came form out east in Canada so they sometimes have issues with corrosion when they come from that part. However I was told byt he guy that changed it and hen told the same thing when I asked at Volvo that if the motor mounts were shot and thus not supporting the motor upon acceleration and breaking there would be movement back and forth causing the drive shaft to be moved a bit in the process.
I don't know but whatever they did resolved the clicking and it hasn't come back.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:59 PM

See but the key to the whole prob, was that it only did it when it was cold. If the mounts are shot their shot, warm cold would not have a thing to do with it..

Old 05-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Also on your folding mirrors, the wireing is not reversed. Here is how to fix that push the button let your mirrors do what they do. lets say the d/s is in and the p/s is out, the fuse panel inside by the door jam, remove fuse #5 it is a 25amp fuse for the DDM, remove it. then push the button again, the p/s will then move in, the d/s wont move. reinstall the fuse, and push the button again, both mirrors will now be in sync.

Goodluck..

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM

I had an issue w/ my 2007 XC90 mirrors and the dealer fixed it by installing a software update (covered by warranty). My problem was different than yours (the mirrors would both close ok, but not everytime, and often they wouldn't reopen without turning the car off & back on). I'd only owned the car for a few months, so you'd think they would have updated any software before selling it. I find software updates to fix a lot of the simplier Volvo problems!