Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 cruise control problem

2005 XC90 2.5T AWD. On a recent road trip the cruise started to fail, and after a day or two, the failure was complete. Cannot start cruise with rocker switch on steering wheel, and obviously cannot set a speed. At the early signs of failure, it would start the cruise control with the switch, but it would only hold a speed for 30 seconds or so and then it could not be reset until the car was shut down and restarted.

Anyone out there face a similar issue? Thanks for any input about the problem.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 PM

We are currently on a trip and ours just went out. The horn honks when cruise button is pushed.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by UtahXC90
2005 XC90 2.5T AWD. On a recent road trip the cruise started to fail, and after a day or two, the failure was complete. Cannot start cruise with rocker switch on steering wheel, and obviously cannot set a speed. At the early signs of failure, it would start the cruise control with the switch, but it would only hold a speed for 30 seconds or so and then it could not be reset until the car was shut down and restarted.

Anyone out there face a similar issue? Thanks for any input about the problem.
Did you ever get this problem with the XC90 cruise control fixed? We have the exact same symptoms. Not sure what to do next...

Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look in the manual and see if there's a fuse for it and check that (if maybe be electronic though). unfortunately it could be lots of stuff (including just a connection issue with the buttons on wheel...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem last year on my 04/t5. The cruise would work for 10 or 20 seconds and turn off. Found the lever that activates the cruise control on the steering wheel was sticking. Popped the lever off and cleaned inside with contact cleaner. Problem solved, it seems dirt etc.,collects and holds the switch in, the computer reads this as an error and turns the cruise off. hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Theresa (07-18-2022)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Default XC90 cruise control

Sorry gang, but I neglected to post the solution to my original problem regarding a non-responsive cruise control function. Turns out that I was simply incorrectly depressing the cruise-control button on the steering wheel, assuming it was a toggle switch (like every other control button on the steering wheel). So, I was pushing only at the edges and the button may stick in that position or not, and eventually quit "sticking on" at all. The very simple solution turned out to be merely depressing the button in the middle and straight down. Since determining that mode of functionality the cruise control has worked faultlessly.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Default Volvo XC90 cruise control problem self-repair

Good advice!

I was able now to repair the cruise control on my 2005 XC90 by popping off the three related buttons (using a set of plastic pry bar / trim removal tools) and giving it a good clean underneath.

PLUS I gave the rubber lip of the steering wheel next to the cruise control button a trim with an Xacto knife (see photo...).

The rubber must have expanded over time, causing the cruise control button to stay in the 'on' position all the time, and not properly flipping back into it's normal position. (For some humorous reason, the horn would also turn on briefly...)

The car computer no doubt was getting confused and thus turning off the cruise control after 30 seconds...

Now all is good! Worked for me - hope it works for you...

Attached Thumbnails XC90 cruise control problem-xc90-cruise-control-repair.jpg  

Last edited by rintintin; 04-11-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: fix typo...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Default Thanks for the advice

That is a brilliant solution to what seems to be a rather common problem! My cruise control now faultlessly works when I push straight down with a dead-center push on the button. Your idea of trimming the excess material more-or-less under the button is a great idea to augment treating the switch as an up-and-down button, not a toggle switch.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 PM

Very similar problem with stiff and "clunking" rocker but does "eventually" come on, on its own. Go figure.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rintintin
Good advice!

I was able now to repair the cruise control on my 2005 XC90 by popping off the three related buttons (using a set of plastic pry bar / trim removal tools) and giving it a good clean underneath.

PLUS I gave the rubber lip of the steering wheel next to the cruise control button a trim with an Xacto knife (see photo...).

The rubber must have expanded over time, causing the cruise control button to stay in the 'on' position all the time, and not properly flipping back into it's normal position. (For some humorous reason, the horn would also turn on briefly...)

The car computer no doubt was getting confused and thus turning off the cruise control after 30 seconds...

Now all is good! Worked for me - hope it works for you...
Can anyone post a video of them taking off the buttons and doing a cleaning? I’m frankly a bit afraid of ripping off the button incorrectly, with the result that I have to then replace all the buttons by taking off the steering wheel. Also,
do you need to reset anything (eg, a fuse or ECU reboot) after you do this? I think my car has learned that the switch has been sticking, and I’m wondering how it will unlearn that. Many thanks in advance for your reply.