Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 Ignition Problem

I have a 2005 Volvo XC90. I was at the store and when i go to crank the car the key doesnt turn past the number 1 position. So me being frustrated turned it harder and it finally gave way and the car cranked. Now it is like when everytime i go to crank it I have to give it a good strong turn. I have been doing some research and i believe the tumbler lock needs to be replaced. Can someone give me some advice or even a step by step process to fix this?? How much will this cost me if I do this myself?? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM

it is your key and tumbler may need to replace the whole assy. call the dealer and give em your vin# and it will cost 120 for key and tubler or if you have to replace the assy around 300 it also take 5-7 days to get think it comes from germany i have an s40 in my shop right now with the same problem.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

that was helpful. thanks. the dealer said that it would be 270 to order new assembly for my key. is it cheaper to get a new key? also is it cheaper to order from a separate mechanic rather than the Volvo dealer?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to a autoparts stare and get some graphite lock fluid spray it on the key and in the ignition and it should give i have the same problem and am in no postion to buy a new tumbler.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Hi. This issue should be of the recall variety. I brought my 2008 XC90 to the dealer today for another issue. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min when the service man approached me and asked me if my ignition had ever locked up before. I said no and tried to turn the key myself. Completely locked. The service rep said "I know what it is" as his wife in her Volvo had recently had the same problem. He explained the ignition has a locking mechanism that sometimes freezes in place. The column needs to be dissembled to remove the mechanism. He told me 5-7 biz days to get the factory to custom build me a new one before he can drive the car to diagnose the problem I originally came in for. They won't give me a loaner or rent me a car despite the fact that this issue is "under warranty." I'm very disenchanted with Volvo as, given that this issue has occurred in Volvos time and time again, there has been no recall. I'm shocked that you had to pay for the fix.Please pursue recompense thru Volvo. I will-for my car rental!!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 PM

I would find a new dealer. This one sounds rather shady. My experience with Volvo dealers is that they bend over backward to take care of you, even for non warranty work. Or maybe I just have good dealers here in NE Ohio.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Default My '06 XC90 has the same problem

I first called my usual shop. After a bit, they called back and said it wasn't work they would try. Only later would I fully appreciate how honest and genuine that response was; validates my confidence in them. I called the first Volvo dealer and the Service Manager said, very unapologetically, "needs a new ignition; 'bout $1,300.". Undaunted, I called another local dealer, who shocked me by guestimating about $800. Finally, that dealer's Parts Manager said what others here have found; the entire ignition core, coded to my VIN, is about $270, built to order in Germany and arrives in 7 - 10 days. I'm still looking to find a better deal on the labor, but I'm not expecting to get below $400 for someone who's actually done it before. I'm not happy about this unexpected cost, but it is the first expense other than oil changes in two years. As it was to others, it was apparent to me that this problem is very common, irrespective of year or model. Strange to me that such things never came up in my pre-purchase due diligence. Hope this is helpful.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Just to add some detail to that there is a locking mechanism behind the actual tumbler that has a poor plastic casing if you remove it and check clearance around it you can shave it with a razor knife and give you more clearance . this took me about an hour to fix .this will lock the key up in the ignition also.It is a sfety that goes to the automatic shifter.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM

recalls are generally for safety issues and having to turn the key hard doesn't really qualify. I would check with another dealer who may be more accommodating with a loaner. Dealers can set their own policy; one may give you a car that is nicer than yours, one may give you a PT cruiser, and one may give you nothing. You must have an extended warranty if a 2008 is still under warranty.

Originally Posted by dianescioli
Hi. This issue should be of the recall variety. I brought my 2008 XC90 to the dealer today for another issue. I sat in the waiting room for 30 min when the service man approached me and asked me if my ignition had ever locked up before. I said no and tried to turn the key myself. Completely locked. The service rep said "I know what it is" as his wife in her Volvo had recently had the same problem. He explained the ignition has a locking mechanism that sometimes freezes in place. The column needs to be dissembled to remove the mechanism. He told me 5-7 biz days to get the factory to custom build me a new one before he can drive the car to diagnose the problem I originally came in for. They won't give me a loaner or rent me a car despite the fact that this issue is "under warranty." I'm very disenchanted with Volvo as, given that this issue has occurred in Volvos time and time again, there has been no recall. I'm shocked that you had to pay for the fix.Please pursue recompense thru Volvo. I will-for my car rental!!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Default Follow-up to my 1/19 post

This seizure of the key in the ignition occurred during two non-sequential starts in one morning. Since I gathered the information about the replacement cost and process, I have started and driven the car dozens of times with no recurrence. Since it hasn't been seizing any more, I'm reluctant to order this expensive, custom part but my wife is understandably reluctant to depend on it unless I do get it repaired. And, of similar concern is the 2002 V70XC that's also sitting in my driveway but with 35,000 more miles on it! Anybody know if I'm just being short-sighted and cheap by hoping it won't happen again?