Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 smoking after oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 smoking after oil Changes

I have an 04 XC90 with the 2.9l in it. After each time that I change oil it will smoke like crazy for a few days.

I am suspecting an issue with the PVC system on these but I think the 2.9L has some sort of oil trap or separator system on it that i am guessing is clogged or partially clogged which wont allow the oil to go directly into the crankcase when I pour in.

Am I correct? and it so, where do I start?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Make sure you are not over filling with your oil changes. (check the owners manual for capacity with filter change). If that's not it then you probably have an issue with the PCV system's oil separator (which can allow oil to be sucked into the intake). The oil separator is external to the engine and would have nothing to do with allowing oil to find its way from the filler to the crankcase. How many miles on the engine? You can have the car tested for positive crankcase pressure or excessive vacuum to determine the health of the PCV.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
Make sure you are not over filling with your oil changes. (check the owners manual for capacity with filter change). If that's not it then you probably have an issue with the PCV system's oil separator (which can allow oil to be sucked into the intake). The oil separator is external to the engine and would have nothing to do with allowing oil to find its way from the filler to the crankcase. How many miles on the engine? You can have the car tested for positive crankcase pressure or excessive vacuum to determine the health of the PCV.
It has around 106K on it. I’m positive that I’m not over filling it. When I am pouring the oil in without a funnel, it’s going in pretty slow as well. It’s currently not using any oil between oil changes (4K synthetic).
When I change the oil ... I don’t mean it smokes a little, I mean in 15 seconds you can’t see the Volvo. It gradually clears up but it’s embarrassing to drive for a few days.

Now that it’s been a week, no smoke a all.... zero. Only right after oil changes.

When searching this topic on this forum, I only found where a garage changed someone’s oil and the person was blaming the garage for all the smoke. Think that topic is under the S70. Funny thing in that thread members told him o2 sensor, turbo fried, ECU fried... one member mentions the oil backing up into the PVC system when they poured it nix ...In the end he takes it to the the Volvo dealer where it set for a few days and the dealer couldn’t find anything wrong with it.
So to me ... oil backing up when I’m trying to pour it in makes the most sense and it’s only done this right after the last few oil changes.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:16 AM
Default Smoking after oil change i over filled the car

Originally Posted by Superman_006
It has around 106K on it. I’m positive that I’m not over filling it. When I am pouring the oil in without a funnel, it’s going in pretty slow as well. It’s currently not using any oil between oil changes (4K synthetic).
When I change the oil ... I don’t mean it smokes a little, I mean in 15 seconds you can’t see the Volvo. It gradually clears up but it’s embarrassing to drive for a few days.

Now that it’s been a week, no smoke a all.... zero. Only right after oil changes.

When searching this topic on this forum, I only found where a garage changed someone’s oil and the person was blaming the garage for all the smoke. Think that topic is under the S70. Funny thing in that thread members told him o2 sensor, turbo fried, ECU fried... one member mentions the oil backing up into the PVC system when they poured it nix ...In the end he takes it to the the Volvo dealer where it set for a few days and the dealer couldn’t find anything wrong with it.
So to me ... oil backing up when I’m trying to pour it in makes the most sense and it’s only done this right after the last few oil changes.
did you solve the problem by any chance I have same problem 2004 xc90 2.9L