Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xc90 stalling...please need help!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgardella
I have an 04 xc90 t6 that had similar issue. Took a long time to figure out but it turned out to be a crack (quater size hole) in the turbo air handler (big plastic thing that sits on top of the motor). I think the guy who replaced my timing belt must have dropped it and or cracked it somehow.
I too noticed a chunk of the plastic missing from the air handler, near the top engine mount. I must have nicked it when putting it back on. I sealed that off with some tape, and that took care of the erratic idle/stall problem I was getting on decel after replacing the spark plugs.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 T6 Stalling

My XC 90 has been stalling intermitently over the last 10 months too. I have replaced MAF, spark plugs, fuel filter, and I can't remember what else. My battery was old and one day the car wouldn't start so I repalced it and, (cross my fingers), it hasn't stalled since.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile For the Record...

I’m putting this down for the record and history for future frustrated Volvo owners that are struggle for answers.
So I had the same problem,…I have a 2004 XC90 AWD T6 turbo…It would start up, but would run really rough and when it would idle (about 500 RPM) or at a stop light it would die. Now keep in mind it would start back up and idle okay in park but as soon as I would engage it to Drive or Reverse it would die again. You could do this all day. Sometimes it would be okay when cold but once warmed up it would start acting up…Sound familiar?
So steps I took:
1. Checked for vacuum leaks with some carb cleaner and sprayed all around checked all hoses and vacuum tubes. Made sure nothing was off. Sometimes hoses are not clamped on right or disconnected completed, trace back all hoses… (in my case nothing.)
2. Replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF), stupid mistake is I bought an aftermarket one that was not a Bosch. For some reason Volvo computers do not like aftermarket MAF sensors and it actually acted worse than before. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Trust me on this no matter what anyone tells you,… hunt around and you will find a true Bosch part for about 100 bucks save yourself the grief.
Replacing the sensor helped with the rough idle. So I consider that a win. However it was still dying…
3. Look at the fuel filter, you can tell if it is the factory filter because it usually has tape around the input and output part of the filter, and it maybe brittle. If the fuel filter is old and clogged it may not have enough fuel pressure to maintain and idle, hence the dying…
4. Spark plugs… Volvo’s have this finicky thing with spark plugs as well… its best that you use the Volvo OEM plugs as that is up to specs, but I have successfully used the NGK V Power COPPER plugs. They should be gapped to .028 to .030.
Now when I was pulling off all the vacuum housing to get to the plugs, INSPECT the hard case tubing…
What I found…. The left engine mount was slightly bend and broke the side of the hard case tubing to the rear turbo tube…. I never would have found it had I not taken off all the tubing to swap out the plugs. I patched it up and it seems to be working great now….
Cheers…

The following users liked this post:
interest334 (01-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 PM

rsd911

Did replacing the MAP sensor stop all of the problems? I have replaced my MAF sensor on my 04 xc90 and am still having idle issues. So, wondering if my problem is similar.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Not completely... It's interesting when I first start it cold there is no stalling issues, however if It has time to run, warm up and then you start it again not soon after. It will stall every now and again but will get going after a few starts and you let it run about 1000 RPM's.
After further review it is determined that my throttle body Will need replacing or at minimum cleaning. However this part is in the thousands and has to be done but Volvo directly as they have to program the new part and can not be done by the garage mechanic.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 AM

That is interesting about the warm vs cold engine situation. The issues with my vehicle seem to be consistent no matter the engine temp. Before taking the car in to have the throttle body cleaned, I replaced the fuel filter and that was much easier than I thought it would be and only took approx. 15 minutes.

I paid $800 for the throttle body to be cleaned at the Volvo dealership near me. The car runs much better now that the throttle body has been cleaned.

The dealer told me that the MAF sensor is still throwing a fault code. Along with replacing the fuel filter, I had installed a non-Volvo MAF sensor - initially, it actually seemed to make the engine run more roughly. I have read on this forum in other posts how a Volvo or Bosch MAF sensor is the way to go. I may end up buying one after all.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Default confirmed issue resolved

I wanted to let others know we had a confirmed crack in the air intake going to the turbos after that MAF sensor. The motor mount broke and pushed into the plastic intakes cracking and causing a lean mixture due to more air being added after the MAF.

Are symptoms including stalling while coming to a stop RPMs would not stay above 500. This got worse as the engine got warmer. Due to the high RPMs in initial start never experienced it right away.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 PM

That is terrible and sounds very expensive. I was fortunately able to resolve the issue I was having by purchasing a genuine Bosch part. It was used and significantly less money that way and solved my issues. The aftermarket part improved engine performance, but the computer did not recognize the part as it was not the original manufacturer's part. I have also experienced this with my daughter's Volkswagen. Non-Volkswagen genuine parts would "fix" the issue, but the computer would still throw codes. I've learned my lesson on foreign cars - must be made by the original part manufacturer and not just OEM specs.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Default Mine did the same thing

Originally Posted by rsd911
Hi and thank you in advance for your replies.

I have a 2004 XC90 T6. Lately, it has been surging at idle when coming to a stop. Often it will drop RPM's and stall. It does start up again. Note...it only does this when the gas pedal is released. Otherwise drives fine. I also notice the engine surges/hunts when the cruise control is used. Also and perhaps critical to the diagnosis is that when I open the gas cap and fill the tank, the stalling becomes more frequent. This is not my imagination as it does this consistently when the tank is filled. I will also make mention that for the past year the engine has to crank for longer than usual to start (like a bad check valve or something).

Here's what I have done: Cleaned ETM...no change, replaced ETM with used unit....no change, Replaced MAF sensor with new Bosch unit. Taken apart everything to check for vacuum leaks. Taken apart APP sensor (Gas pedal) and cleaned it. Checked fuel pressure=58 PSI at the rail. I did notice it a few hours the fuel pressure drops to 0.

Question: After changing the MAF and ETM/APP, does the car need to be hooked up to VADIS to be recalibrated? I had just done a battery disconnect.

Please advise as I am at my wits end. I cannot let my wife and kids use this car as it is not safe to drive.

Thank-you.
RSD911
mine did the same thing. After trying many things replacing parts. It ended up being a large crack on the top right bottom corner of the air manifold near the engine mount . It was not visible without a mirror. Fixed the problem instantly.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 PM

after all this time I'm sure they resolved it but was it me, did I miss any codes that were pulled those parts throw codes.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Default Same symptoms

Originally Posted by Dan Wood
I wanted to let others know we had a confirmed crack in the air intake going to the turbos after that MAF sensor. The motor mount broke and pushed into the plastic intakes cracking and causing a lean mixture due to more air being added after the MAF.

Are symptoms including stalling while coming to a stop RPMs would not stay above 500. This got worse as the engine got warmer. Due to the high RPMs in initial start never experienced it right away.
I had the same symptoms after replacing spark plugs (yes, Volvo plugs!) and a new Bosch MAF Sensor on my 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD. I somehow didn't notice the broken piece off of the Inlet Pipe near the Top Motor Mount till my girlfriend found the piece the other day. Took the Inlet Pipe off and Voila! Piece broken off. I'm going to try J-B Plastic Weld on it and some electrical tape for good measure. Here are photos of the break: