Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XC90 transmission problems

my 2005 XC90 with 78,000 miles (a lot of business driving) transmission diedlast week and needless to say that I'm DISGUSTED. My dealer claims not to have any info on this being a problem with this model but I now know better from finding this forum.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Listen I havea 2003 XC90- I bought it used 1 year ago. It had 40K- I brought it to a Volvo dealer 4x with complaints under warranty of hesitation when taking off- 2x they "updated comp." 1x they replace some washer- last time they could not find a problem. So I stopped complaining,then it went out of warranty. Just 3 weeks ago at 65K- The Transmission went. I was told it would be $5000- to fix and Volvo would offer to pitch in $1000. NO TRANSMISSION SHOULD GO AT 67K IN ANY CAR!Now I'm hearing of the same problem with others..For such a well known product I cant believe they expect me to pay for this! I am a sinlge mother of two- and at X-mas time this saddens me greatly. Anyone out there have any suggestions. Im thinking about getting a Product Attorney.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Did you get anywhere with Volvo assisting you? I just had my transmission go- Im a single Mom w two kids and at Xmas time this is pretty depressing... $4100.00

Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Did you get anywhere with assistance frm Volvo for your Transmission problem?? Mine just went too- Single Mom here with 2 kids at Xmas time cant afford to pay $4100. !!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Thank you to all that took time to reply to my concerns. I found out today from my Volvo dealer that it will cost me $4800+ for a new transmission. I also went to a very respectable transmission repair company who would charge me $3800. to repair the trans. I don't think I want to spend all that money on a car with over 110,000 miles. If the trans had a better reputation I would think about the repair. I just don't think that this would give me another two years of good service. I will now consider an 07 V8. Thanks again.

EAS1

Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sorry & upset about the GM-built tranny.

The XC90s are luxury vehicles and the last thing you would expect is the tranny failing at such low mileage.

The V8 powerplant on the 2007 XC90, I believe, is Yamaha-built (someone correct me if I am wrong). In general, Japanese mfgs seem to excel when it comes to industrial products & quality control (but I expect this reputation to go down the drain soon, as half the people over there are exploited for paychecks that are just enough to feed themselves, needless to say half of what they sell are made elsewhere). I would like to know exactly what component within the GM tranny was causing the trouble.

Anyway, I wish you the best on your next vehicle. Stick to the scheduled maintenance to keep troubles at minimum.

JPN

Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Default Transmission Flush then Transmission Failure 2 days later

My '04 XC90 T6 went in for a routine 45K service and the dealer suggested a transmission fluid flush as a preventative maintenance. The flush cost me nearly $500 and two days later I was stopped at a light and the car wouldn't shift or move in drive. I stepped on the gas and the rpm's jumped up and the car jerked and moved at a crawl. I tried to get home into the garage (1 mile away), but the car's urgent transmission failure light came on and I pulled to the side of the road. The dealer never explained why the transmission had failed and the receipt only states which parts were replaced (radiator, transmission, etc.).

I'm wondering if the transmission flush caused the car's transmission to fail as well. Anyone had a similar experience? Although the transmission was covered by the extended warranty, I'm still out for the cost of the flush. Does anyone know if volvo in fact replaced the transmission with an updated version or just the same rebuild?

I'm all for participating in class action suit just to get a new modified transmission that won't fail. My warranty is through 100K, but I hate driving out of town knowing the car could die at any moment. I am located in California.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:12 PM

My transmission failed in my '04 XC90 T6 at 45,000 miles, two days after we had the transmission fluid flushed at the dealer. I'm also wondering if there is a correlation between the two. My car is due for a service next month and I'm wondering if I should test this $500 theory. Did you get anywhere with the dealership?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Default Scared

i just bought & picking up an 04 XC90 T6. this is a scarey thread. i shoulda found this site before i bought.

So because of this thread when i went to pick up I decided to take the Volvo dealer up on a warrantee and sprung for the $ for a power train warrantee to be covered to 160kms (it has 76kms). I think my only exposure to a tranny related issue is the rad and cooler that i heard has to be replaced in the even metal shavings are found in the tranny pan. I will drive less worried & it does really drive nice.

Last edited by D Nuts; 05-20-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by speedster77
The flush cost me nearly $500
Yikes...last transmission flush I had done was for a Subaru and IIRC it was about $125...

I'd be curious to know about transmission flushes in general...I've read that they can do more harm than good if you already have a lot of crap in your transmission fluid.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of our trans fluid is about 88 bucks a gallon.4 quarts,trans will roughly take about 14 or so quarts.
Plus the labor rate for the dealer.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Default XC90 transmission problem after flushing the old fluid

I brought the car for regular maintenance two weeks ago and paid almost $1,000 for Back brake pad, transmission fluid, and regular change oil.
In approximately 1 and half week, the car stop running in the middle of the street. Before this happens, the car started slowing down and I heard a cracking sound like someone was cracking bones.
I has it towed to the same dealer because I trusted them and now they telling me that I need a new transmission for $7,600.
The car was fine before we sent it for service.
Now that they have the car, I don't have a chance to investigate if they missed putting the fluid or if they put a wrong fluid.
What should I do?
This is not the first time our transmission was changed.
THe first one was at approximately 50,000 miles and we were convinced by the dealer to just pay for a warranty extension for approximately $4,000 to cover the next 50,000 miles and they would fix the transmission.
Now, is the 2nd time during the 130,000 miles which again was doing great until they touch the transmission and charge us for flushing old fluid and supposedly should put the right new fluid?
What is the best number to call to complain and seek help?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by dhg
We own a 2003 XC90 with 83,000 miles on it and we are being told that we have to put the third transmission into this car. The first transmission was bad when we bought it and we had to take the car back after driving about 1 mile. A new transmission was shipped from Sweden. Now, at 83,000 miles, the second transmission is now suddenly bad after the Volvo dealer flushed the transmission fluid. We were not having any problems prior to them changing the transmission fluid. We are now having to look at legal action and are trying to find out if these transmission problems are common and/or if the service departments changing the transmission fluid have caused problems with other XC90s. We asked this dealer how many times they have changed the transmission fluid in an XC90 and they said 4 or 5 times so far but this is the first time they've had an issue. Anyone else experiencing these issues?
XC90 transmission problem after flushing the old fluid
I brought the car for regular maintenance two weeks ago and paid almost $1,000 for Back brake pad, transmission fluid, and regular change oil.
In approximately 1 and half week, the car stop running in the middle of the street. Before this happens, the car started slowing down and I heard a cracking sound like someone was cracking bones.
I has it towed to the same dealer because I trusted them and now they telling me that I need a new transmission for $7,600.
Now that they have the car, I don't have a chance to investigate if they missed putting the fluid or if they put a wrong fluid.
What should I do?
THe first one was at approximately 50,000 miles and we were convinced by the dealer to just pay for a warranty extension for approximately $4,000 to cover the next 50,000 miles and they would fix the transmission.
Now, is the 2nd time during the 130,000 miles which again was doing great until they touch the transmission and charge us for flushing old fluid and supposedly should put the right new fluid?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM

XC90 transmission problem after flushing the old fluid
What should I do?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:34 PM

If calling Volvo Cars or the dealer won't help, i would suggest calling BAR. Bureau of Automotive Repair. Just a suggestion, they've helped me out before.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Thank you for your message and your suggestion.
Did they contact volvo directly? You are right. I had a hard time discussing this with the Service Manager.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Our 2004 XC90 with 93K miles just went into the shop this past week with slipping 1st to 2nd and a transmission failure warning message. Our local dealer ran the diagnostics and contacted Volvo NA, who approved replacement with a new transmission, radiator, oil cooler and cooler lines under 100% warrantee coverage. The dealer told us that Volvo NA was covering XC90 tranmission failures under a goodwill warrantee up to 100K.

I have to thank this forum for providing me with the info about CX90 transmission failures so I was able plead my case to the dealer effectively. While I am disappointed that the xc90 has had reliability issues...I am happy that Volvo stepped up and replaced our transmission.

Jonathan

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry xc 90 tranny shot before Christmas thanks Volvo

Like everyone else, and I'm so stupid for not checking this before hand... I was driving home when I heard a clunk and drive suddenly turned to neutral during quick flowing traffic!
Fortunately I through it to the fake manual and found that I only had power in 3 or 4!!! 1 and 2 were completely useless!!
I brought my 2004 XC 90 to my garage to find out that not only the tranny was shot but it was a GM tranny! HELLO? I bought a Volvo-if I wanted crap GM I would have bought an H2.
I contacted VOLVO CANADA and spoke to someone named Omar S. and he pretty much told me (after some tooth pulling) that this was a common problem and that Volvo does help-but it is only on a case to case basis and NOT A GUARANTEE.
Furthermore, not only was my garage not good enough for Volvo to declare that the tranny was shot but I would have to bring the vehicle to one of their dealers(I am in north Toronto and the dealers are either in the east or west ends), so that they could run diagnostics BUT I would have to pay myself and not necessarily get reimbursed for shelling out to have this done...after I explained that it wasn't safe to drive, he suggested that I have it towed-again my cost.
If it wasn't covered then I would have to drag this thing all the way back to my original garage.
It must be nice that people don't work for a living and have all this free time to run around and not have to worry about driving a safe vehicle to put their children in.
Thanks Volvo...for life (sentance)
2004 XC 90 T6 107, 495 MILES
If anyone from VOLVO CANADA who has some common sense and would like to help me with this problem please let me know...by the way, the heater module also died on me so to top it off I have no heat now that December decided to show up.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM

need some advice to change transmision oil.or where i can get a it

Quick Reply: XC90 transmission problems