Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Anyone here have a Maaco paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here have a Maaco paint job?

I was in a wreck recently which forced me to replace my drivers door and mirror. It's cheaper to get a paint job at Maaco than it is to have a high end painter blend in and paint the door.

I'm planning on doing all the prep-work myself so from what I hear if I go to a Maaco with high reviews on yelp I should be fine.

Anyone here have Maaco paint jobs? Anything you would recommend?

Lets see em!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM

I have had 3 cars done by Maaco over the years, and I really can't complain. As they say, a great deal of the outcome is in the quality of the prep work done. My friend and I went over my car completely, taking care of the small dents and rust spot. Then removed as much trim and mouldings as possible. When I dropped the car off at the shop the night before I took a few minutes and removed the tail lights and tossed them in the trunk.. The more you can remove, the better... masking emblems is extremely time consuming and not nearly as clean looking. I's easier to scrape them off and re apply new 2 sided emblem tape from the parts house.. just trim away all the extra tape from around the letters... take your time and it looks original.

I was going to try and paint my car myself, but for the cost, I can't go buy the materials for what they charge for the entire paint job. Every Maaco is different. Go look and see how good the painter is.. Ask to see some finished cars or stop by and walk around the lot and check them out.

I know people will complain and knock them, but I had good luck and the paint held up very well, as it's baked on...

After having a 2000 dollar custom paint job on an old camaro years ago, and all the headaches, scrapes, parking lot door dings, bird "dropping" marks, etc., that went with it..... I'll NEVER pay that for another "real" paint job again..

It's Maaco all the way for me. Your experience may vary...

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Mike

Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 AM

yes, have had two cars painted a macco...as posted they did a good job....i do painting myself, infact i am about to paint hood, front bumper on our lexus, picked up the paint Friday from paint shop, two colors (silver, and gray) for top of the line ppg paint i spent = $400.20 which included 1 quart, 1pint, reducer, hardener, and clear coat....my lincoln, the last car maaco painted cost $200.00 some 30 years ago...todays cost ????

Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You can search the word Macco and see the other post and threads. I used the once with very satisfying results. I got their 3rd option from the bottom, I think all of them have 4. I have worked at a body shop in the past so I'm not ignorant to paint quality. I did NO prep work for them. I believe the lower the option you. Choose the worse the prep work as well. A guy I installed some bumpers for had his car painted there (same place 7 years later) and it was disgusting.