Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Possible new S60 buyer with Sirius Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new S60 buyer with Sirius Question

If I purchase a new S60 with only the Sirius prep and don't buy the actual sirius receiver from Volvo, can I just get any Sirius unit myself and hook it up in the car?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Possible new S60 buyer with Sirius Question

There are a few ways to do this:

1- Buy the Sirius tuner from Volvo (Not that easy / most expeisive / Dealer install)

2- Use an aftermarket tuner for Alpine (I think) and use it like the Volvo OEM (Easier / cheaper / You install)

3- Use a Plug and Play unit like the Sportster 4 or S50 and hook it up through the changer port on the Volvo radio (Easier than #1 / Cheaper than #1 / You install)

4- Use a Plug and Play unit like the Sportster 4 or S50 and just use its built-in FM modulator to broadcast the music to any FM station (Easiest / Cheapest / Easy install)

If you need more information, check out www.siriusbackstage.com. There are a lot of people there who will be more than willing to help you out.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Dads850

There are a few ways to do this:

1- Buy the Sirius tuner from Volvo (Not that easy / most expeisive / Dealer install)

2- Use an aftermarket tuner for Alpine (I think) and use it like the Volvo OEM (Easier / cheaper / You install)

Are you talking about an aftermarket Sirius tuner or an aftermarket replacement for the head unit?

3- Use a Plug and Play unit like the Sportster 4 or S50 and hook it up through the changer port on the Volvo radio (Easier than #1 / Cheaper than #1 / You install)

It was my understanding that there are no adapters for the 2007 S60s that would allow this.

4- Use a Plug and Play unit like the Sportster 4 or S50 and just use its built-in FM modulator to broadcast the music to any FM station (Easiest / Cheapest / Easy install)

Not a great option in NY where most of the FM band is used. Sound quality suffers greatly compared to direct connect.

If you need more information, check out www.siriusbackstage.com. There are a lot of people there who will be more than willing to help you out.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM

I don't think so?......I think the connection is the same but the unit is shaped differently...The Sirrus set up in the S60 has a cradel it sits in right?

Dads850 is on to something down there....If you bought an s-60 with a Sirrus setup but no Sirrus reciever you'd spend more money getting it hooked up the right way (i.e. at the dealer) than you would by just buying a S-60 without Sirrus setup, putting an aftermarket head unit in (doesn't matter which one. They all have an auxilery input of some kind now days...so long as you spend at least $250ish) and then purchasing the right adapter for the auxilery with a couple RCA ends and 6' extention with a head phone jack on the other. Then, you're not limited to just a Sirrus unit.....you can then plug anything in that uses head phones.

Cheaper and more versitile to go the aftermarket rought.....though i don't know how difficult it is to install an aftermarket head in a S-60.....