General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Blinking Arrow light & check engine "W" mode flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking Arrow light & check engine "W" mode flashing

Hi Forum members.......

Let me start by saying Im new here so take it easy on me Thanks...... So anyways I just bought my wife a 1998 Volvo V70 XC wagon with 139,000 miles on it.The body,interior and engine are very clean..When I test drove the car It ran fine and there was no lights on.Well after I bought it and she was driving home about 10 minutes into her trip the winter mode Arrow started to flash on the dash and the check engine light followed it.Now the blinking arrow comes and goes frequently but the check engine light remains on all the time.I tried that trick I read about shifting back and forth in the II ignition position 15-20 time real quick from Park to Low and it worked.But the blinking arrow keeps coming and going and seems to be on more then not on now.I have an appointment with a local Certified Volvo Technician for September 20th to have the Trans code pulled for $50.I have a OBD II computer and it comes up No faults found pass and it will not allow me to reset the check engine light like I have in the past alot.So Im assuming this is caused by the transmission.Im just looking for some imput and if anyones knows what my wifes car need to take care of the winter mode blinking arrow problem and to get the check engine light out to pass inspection.We live in upstate NY and it will not pass with a check engine light on.I figure if someone can tell me whats wrong or give me a good suggestions then maybe this mechanic cant pull a quick one on me a charge and fortune for stuff I dont need like a new transmission.Could this be a PNP switch????Thanks for any info and sorry to babble future post will be shorter.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Blinking Arrow light & check engine "W" mode flashing

It could be a PNP but might also be something else.
I wish you could get the codes in the TCM pulled then we would know better on what to tell you.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.There's no way to pull the TCM codes like the black box behind the headlight in the older volvo's right?I will know what it is on Thursday But I'd like some more knowledge before I go to the Volvo Tech.Thanks again.....

Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

No way to pull like the older cars. Sorry but if you get the codes then let us know before they do anything we should be able to help.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Ok so my wife took it to the volvo Tech today and there were two codes that came up.One was that the sports/economy switch is bad and the second code was something about Gear ratio.He said the swiotch would run about $100 plus labor.He said he has seen alot of 1998 XC pull that code about the gear ratio and it wasn't a good thing.He also added that the bad switch maybe causing the gear ratio code but couldn't be for sure untill the switch has been replaced.Do you have any idea wich one maybe causing the check engine light to be on?Can anyone shine some light on the gear ratio code and what might be the problem?Also on the way to the Tech her SRS light came on and the tech told her that her seatbelt restraint had went bad any idea what that is and how much it cost and how hard it is to fix and could that trigger a check engine light?Thanks for any help on any of these topics.....

Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

If he used an aftermarket scanner the code may be misleading.
I would replace the switch and clear the codes and take it from there.
The seatbelt is pretty expensive to replace. I think like in the $400.00 range.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Is there anyway to reset the check engine light without using a scan tool?Im gonna order the sport/economy switch and replace it myself it cant be to hard right?I would like to reset the check engine light after I replace the switch without paying this tech another $40.Im gonna price a switch tomorrow through my local volvo dealer but this guy told me it would run me around $100 does that sound about right?Thanks for all the info....

Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

The engine light won't clear till the trans codes are cleared. Sorry but you will have to pay someone to clear them or buy a scanner that will read engine and transmission codes.

I would say that price might be a little high. But I usually don't go near the prices.
I just work in the shop. The switch just pops out and install the new one.