Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Flashing Arrow & Mode Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing Arrow & Mode Switch

Just thought I'd throw this out there before I dig in to the PNP switch. (Because, I'm doubtful thats my problem) So I'm finishing the bulb conversion and went to pull the center console to solder new bulbs in the window switches. Anyway, after I removed the change tray/cig lighter assembly. I slightly tugged on the harness that goes to the Mode switch. (Sport/Econ/Winter) Immediately, the arrow and switch began to flash. (please don't ask me while the ignition was in the II position) Anyway, I figured I just hit the winter button. But not the case. Did the **** move 20-30 Xs'. Nothing. Replaced the switch with a spare. Nothing. Unplugged the battery and let the codes reset. Nothing. Pulled the center console out, and checked continuity in the harness. (Thought maybe I frayed or jarred one of the wires when I tugged on it) I have continuity on all 4 wires. Hard to believe it's the PNP, since it occurred at the exact same moment I tugged on the wires. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here. If by chance, anyone has had a quirky problem like this before.
Thanks in advance for any input. I have a strong feeling this is gonna end up being one PITA.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you I would have suspected the switch too. Similar thing happened to me once; had bumped the switch when i parked it; when i took off trans was in W mode. Turned engine off; toggled switch several times, then it was fine.

Have you verified your switch and its feeds are good? Pretty simple:
  1. Blk (pin 5) wire is ground; verify w/ohmmeter.
  2. Grn/Org (pin 2) should be pull-up; 0V when in E mode; probably around 5V when in S mode.
  3. Brn/Gry (pin 3) is also pull-up; inverse of pin 2: around 5V in E mode; 0V in S.
  4. Gry/Org (pin 4) is supply for LEDs; should come on w/lights.
Also have you ckd for trans codes? Any specific reason why you suspect the PNP switch? Let us know what you find.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
Like you I would have suspected the switch too. Similar thing happened to me once; had bumped the switch when i parked it; when i took off trans was in W mode. Turned engine off; toggled switch several times, then it was fine.

Have you verified your switch and its feeds are good? Pretty simple:
  1. Blk (pin 5) wire is ground; verify w/ohmmeter.
  2. Grn/Org (pin 2) should be pull-up; 0V when in E mode; probably around 5V when in S mode.
  3. Brn/Gry (pin 3) is also pull-up; inverse of pin 2: around 5V in E mode; 0V in S.
  4. Gry/Org (pin 4) is supply for LEDs; should come on w/lights.
Also have you ckd for trans codes? Any specific reason why you suspect the PNP switch? Let us know what you find.
Thats just it. I don't suspect the PNP. Like you it happened when the switch was jarred. At first I did try and manipulate the switch, like you. Back and forth from econ to sport. Pushing winter, etc.. When I couldn't get anywhere doing that. I pulled the console and checked harness for continuity, and it's
there. But then it got late. In the morning, I'll re-plug the harness and check it then with the DMM to check the V's at the switch. Only reason, I'm even contemplating the PNP, is that nothing else is working out the problem. Switch is good (tried 2), Harness is good, and for some reason the slight tug made it go wonky. I truly appreciate your reply. Knowing that someone else jarring the switch, found themselves in the same boat, will make me look at it again, before falling back on the PNP. (which I'm 99% sure isn't going to correct it)

Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you tried to start and drive the car? I would see how it drove and if driving it clears it up. Stranger things have happened.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Have you tried to start and drive the car? I would see how it drove and if driving it clears it up. Stranger things have happened.
Yeah Robert, I tried that yesterday. Ran in limp mode. Now here's where it gets screwy. Went out this morning, reconnected the battery. Flashing arrow still there. Messed with the switch some more, arrow still there, ran some more tests with the MM, and said F it. Came back out, to roll up the windows and lock it. Turned the key, arrow now gone. Everything back to normal. Who knows. Anyway, I did notice something odd. When I removed the console yesterday. Someone before me, had the white plug from the harness plugged in to the yellow connector. It doesn't seem right to me. Since there is also an orphaned black plug, in there too, and I'm certain that these two plugs are for the heated seat option. (Which I don't have) So I refrained from re-plugging it in. Anyway, does anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram for the center console? I plan to take those harness plugs and rout them to where the backseat heated switches would go, to make an on/off switch for the light @ the rear cig lighter. Don't really need the diagram for that, just want to verify the orphaned harnesses.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Found it. Suspicion, confirmed. Both extra harnesses are indeed for the heated seat option. Still have no clue as to what the yellow socket on the right is for, or why someone plugged one of the heated seat harness's in to it.