Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 s60 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 s60 won't start

I had been driving for about 20 minutes and pulled into the liqour store parking lot, 15 minutes later when i returned to the car it wouldnt start. Engine cranks but its like theres no spark or gas it just keeps cranking over and over. I tried unplugging the MAF but it still wouldnt start, also smacking the bottom of the gas tank while somebody cranked it, but still nothing. Installed iridium plugs a couple of weeks ago and havent had any problems yet so Im leaning towards something to do with the fuel delivery. I think I can hear the gas pump go when i turn the key but im not sure, its very faint whatever it is. My entire fuel system is stock and original, so 195 000 km's and 8 years old. I would think the fuel filter is clogged or something but it seems weird because it was running fine on the way to the store, but then just wouldnt start back up 15 minutes later. I also tried starting it the next morning when the engine was cold, but still nothing.
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Check the big hose that comes across the engine where it connects in front by the oil dipstick, it may be loose or disconnected since you recently replaced the spark plugs and you probably had to remove it to change the plugs. I had this had on mine recently.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 PM

I think the 01s have high voltage plug wires so you could check for spark by pulling a wire and cranking to see if you can jump the spark to a ground connection. (1/4" gap or less...) If you can confirm spark, try a shot of starting fluid into the airbox to see if you can get a few pops out of the engine. If it won't stay running, you probably have a fuel delivery problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
JP

You know, "couple weeks" after I installed new plugs in my car once, I was driving along and it just died. Would not do anything but crank. Dealer said the wires to the coils were bad.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, I figured out the problem, well...PART of it

I replaced some fuses under the hood to see if it made any changes, and sure enough when I changed # 11 (Rel. Coil/Fan/air pump/IG. coil) it fired right up, rough idle at first but then smooth just like normal.

So I thought it was just that simple and the problems were over with but then this afternoon as i'm pulling out of my driveway my car just died, and wont start just keeps turning over and over. Sure enough the same fuse is blown again!

Now I dont know to much about relays but maybe this has something to do with it?

I dont want to keep replacing the fuse and then it only lasts a day so I need to pinpoint the problem.
JP you mentioned the wires going to the coils being bad on your ride, would something like this create blown fuses or no?
Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by thompson07; 08-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM

After a more thorough inspection of the wires going to the ignition coil I found the problem.
A wire was crossing one of the holes where you screw the cover on. After changing the spark plugs and screwing the cover back on it stripped some of the insulation off and was pinched in the screw grounding on the engine I would imagine. I suppose this would cause a short circuit? None of the actual metal wires were broken so I just put some electrical tape around it and made sure it was out of the way when putting the cover back on, seems to be working for now.