940 Turbo PCV Breather Nipple issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 Turbo PCV Breather Nipple issue

Could Tech or someone help? I am replacing the old one and the little nipple was broke. I have the new one on order and it should be here Monday. There aren't any vacuum lines around where the nipple is. BUT there is a vacuum hose stopped with a screw on the intake. The plugged line is short and is The bottom one on the intake facing the valve cover almost under the fuel rail.
I am thinking that this is the line the nipple goes to. As long as I have had this car it leaked oil from the cam seal. The nipple has been broke all along , and I just recently discovered the plugged line.
The ac system has been converted to the new refrigerant type and works fine, but I don't know if the plugged line was for the older system or not.
Any help please...

Image Hosting

Also forgot to mention, last night I replaced the oil trap and was cleaning everything and thats when I noticed this broken nipple, it was completely clogged with carbon build up (the little nipple hole) and I still have head pressure and blow by. Thanks

Last edited by apeman; 04-03-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added more info and picture
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time you do an oil change, dump a good amount of paint thinners down the whole PCV system, it just runs into teh crankcase, so you can let it drain easily enough. Or you can pull teh entire assembly off. The flame traps on the block, below the manifold are imfamous for sludging up. My car had solid chunks of carbon in teh breather.
As for teh vacuum hose, it runs to a hose barb on the back of teh intake manifold, on teh opposite side to the throttle body. I am not sure what (if any) purpose this hose serves. You are correct in your case, teh stopped hose goes to the elbow.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Just a follow up pics.

The one with my finger on it is the "plugged line"

Thanks....

Last edited by apeman; 04-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Default More info

Well, apparently that is the port this line connects to.

My next question and pretty much the last thing I do , can do, before attempting to mod the valve cover is this=
Where is the EGR Valve? Anyone with a pic or diagram? I haven't pulled it yet. I have replaced everything in the PCV system except that. And I still have blow by, so I am planning on pulling the EGR valve and cleaning it. If after that I still have blow by I am thinking of going to the junk yard and buying a valve cover and modding it. Center drill a hole in the top, plug with a generic nipple place a generic pcv valve in line and drive it till it drops. This blow by is driving me nuts. I have replaced everything from the throttle body down to the oil trap.
ANY HELP will be nice,
Thanks

Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM

This sounds stupid but it only takes a second and no special tools or additional hoses are involved.

Remove the flame trap filter (the plastic thing with all the clogged up holes) then remove the oil filler cap from the valve cover and clean the area around the valve cover hole well. Now here's the stupid part: blow in the filler hole like you're doing mouth to mouth on engine. You should hear the air coming out of the breather box, in which case your flame trap was the issue. If you blow and feel pressure building, the air isn't coming out and it may be the box itself.

It's a stupid simple way to check for crankcase ventilation, just don't let your kids see you doing it, they'll never let you forget it.

woops I just noticed it's a turbo....never mind...

Last edited by soundmiami; 04-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Default Continuing Updates

OK, so I put the breather nipple on and connected the line to the intake.
Immediately the turbo boost gage began working much more. It was working before this, but it didn't react fast, it would show boost and vacuum but the gage itself was sluggish. Not anymore, man when I attached that intake line, the gage just "Jumped to Life", I am guessing thats a good thing. It has been less than a week since I installed the nipple, so I still have oil leaks. But the "blow by" seems to be gone. After I have been driving for a while, I will pull over and leave the engine running and pull the dip stick "Jimmy" and there is no white smoke coming from the hole as before. So i think thats good.
I still fail the "Jiggle" test though. Does anyone know am I supposed to have positive pressure at idle?
Thanks and Happy Easter to all those who practice this religion. Thanks

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You should have vacuum at idle and pressure under Boost only.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks Tech, I suppose I must still have a blockage somewhere. Strangely though, the oil leaks are stopping. I'm not really sure how to read the turbo gage. The needle was pretty much a little to the left of center, but under heavy acceleration it would move to the right. Now after connecting the vacuum hose to the intake, the needle at highway speed is (and idle) is a little off center to the left. But when you decelerate the needle moves to the far left, and is "lively". Could someone tell me how to really read this gage?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM

OK, after a week, I still have a leak, but nowhere as severe. I haven't done the "Jiggle" test yet, but I will this weekend. As soon as I do this I will report my findings

Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 PM

Strangely, the oil leaks have stopped. I don't know how, but no more puddles

Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad there is no more leaks.