major electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major electrical issues.

so... my 96 960 seems to have some electrical problems when it is hot. not engine hot, but like sat in the sun hot. if i jump in and turn the car over, it starts just fine but the windows wont roll down and it also will not shift from park unless I hit the shift lock override. if i turn the ignition on, i can roll down the windows and shift to neutral before starting the car. i have recently noticed when its really hot it also affects the turn signals and the power moon roof. it may also be affecting the brake lights and their turning on and off. it used to be an inconvenience but not its getting unsafe. im not too well versed with repairing volvo's yet but i do know my way around a car so any advice would atleast help point me in the right direction, thanks!

Last edited by winters-wolves; 07-28-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that, changed the ignition switch all problems ceased.

Next time you have the problem manipulate the ignition switch a bit and see if the symptoms don't go away. It is an easy fix, 30 minutes tops. Post back if you want instructions.

Good Luck
Fred

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

1+ with Fred. I have had that problem with both 960's I owned. I drove them like that for years. Thought the repair was harder. Also liked the problem because all I had to do was TURN THE KEY BACK JUST A LITTLE (after the car starts) to get everything to work. Like a security feature. LOL

I thought I posted detailed instructions for that on my site but I didn't see it. Maybe I'll do that today.

Last edited by rspi; 09-19-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: emphasize
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Administrator

95% Chance you have a bad ignition switch. If you start the car and turn the key back just a little, everthing will start working. It's a common problem with Volvo's built between '93 and '99. Every 960/S90 I owned had the problem. I kinda liked it, it was like a security feature. You need to get a new switch from FCP or somewhere and replace it. Not as bad as it sounds. The ignition switch is on the other side of the steering collum from where you stick the key in. It has about 15 switches in it that control a lot of stuff. About 75% of them will work when you turn them back a little, the others will not. The part at FCP is about $55.

Common symptoms are:
  • Will not come out of gear.
  • Windows will not come down.
  • Lights don't work.
  • Radio won't come on.
  • Turn signals don't work.
  • Lights don't come one.
  • Cruise control won't engage.
  • The list goes on...
The car will run and drive but most accessories will not work.

Last edited by rspi; 10-17-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: bullets
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Hi I have a 95 960 and have an intermittent problem in that, periodically when I turn the car off and try to restart it, it will not turn over. I have had this problem before and had the ignition switch replaced as well replacing the started. For quite a while after the starter was replaced the problem seemed to be repaired however it is starting to do it again however more infrequent than it did before. I am wondering if there is something else that may be the problem. If anyone can help me I would surely appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Default 960 major electrical problem

I have the same issue with interior electrical problems discussed in this thread. I have changed the ignition switch, and both interior relays on fuse panel C. Ignition switch still will not activate wipers, exterior lights, ww wipers, shift unlock, heater fan, or radio.
My temporary solution is to jumper out the two relays on panel C. Of course this requires plugging the jumper in each time I want to drive the car, and undoing them both to keep the battery from running down when I get out.
I read somewhere that there is a module (computer) that sends signal to these relays to come on when the key is turned on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Scott

Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Default Ignition key switch issues

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1997 volvo 960 ignition switch? I've been all over the web, and can't find one I can read.
I have nine pins on my (new and old) switch, but only had 8 wires in the harness that goes over the switch.
Still turning on heater, windows, turn signals, wipers, etc. by jumping the two relays (top and bottom relays) in fuse panel C. About as handy as a heart attack. Looking forward to the day I forget to un-jump then and wind up with a dead battery.

Thank you for any help.
Micael

Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Default Ignition Switch

Hi
I had a real problem with my ignition until a Volvo Mechanic told me that the 95&96 960 Volvos had a Neutral safety switch problem. I had mine replaced and have not had a problem since.

The mechanic removed the neutral safety switch and I drove around like that for a couple of days however I could start the car even when I had it in gear so be careful if you experiment with this suggestion. Once they installed the new switch all was and still is OK. The switch was changed about 2 years ago.