Vent switch doesn't work/diaphragm location/fix AND Timing belt, fix? or mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vent switch doesn't work/diaphragm location/fix AND Timing belt, fix? or mechanic?

FIRST PROBLEM>>>>

So, I've got the same problem that almost everyother 960 owner seems to have had, and that is my vent control switch stopped working. Say I had it on front vent, to blow directly into the cabin/face, sometimes with A/C on, and sometimes not, it would blow find, then upon acceleration it would switch off/go to floor/windshield vent (I think...) then after reaching steady speed, lower rpms, etc. it would come back. Then it started cutting out a lot more often, sometimes coming back. Then not at all. This is just the vent control, not even using A/C at all. Sometimes as this was getting worse, I would hit a bump and it would come back, which from my searches indicates a bad vacuum diaphragm, that is located somewhere in the dash....I would really like to fix this if possible, especially for my Son whose one, and when summer comes back, he needs the A/C, it get's hot in that chair (he's huge and in the toddler's chair already)

So if anyone could guide me or help me find the right way to get at the vacuum hoses and diaphragm, I'd be very grateful. I just want to fix it, whatever fix will work. I'm fully ready willing and able to cut through the side wall and epoxy a door back in place, or screw it, rivet, whatever if that's needed. I've seen a few posts, but I can't make sense of them.

SECOND PROBLEM>>>>>

I bought this car with 122k miles on it, and it came with tons of service records, and a top end rebuild. It's got about 158k? I think? (I've got a brain issue disease called Chiari malformation, plus Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Syringomyelia, my memory and health are terrible, too much pressure on the brain from a herniated cerabellum CSF fluid, so working on cars isnt' great for my health, 7 discs the spinal tumors stenosis, kyphosis, I can't remember the rest...) I've read that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 30k, but that they came out with a new belt that only needs to be replaced every 50k miles. I think. Feel free to correct me, I'm often wrong. (I miss being young and healthy....)

Should I toy with going much farther w/out changing the timing belt? I like this car a lot, but if the $$$ of maintaining it get to that point I'll look for another 940 wagon from a little soccer mom, orig owner again. Is this a job I can handle? The serpentine belt in front has a lot of cracks in it, as I was looking at it when I was fixing my wipers and hood release/lock the other day. What say you? How long would you gamble with driving this past the recomended service date for the timing belt, and how hard is it to pull off. I've got the tools, just not always the health and the body to pull it off. To give you and idea, somedays if I have to go to the store for groceries I can fill the cart and get it all home and away myslef in a few hours. Or...I have to use one of the motorized carts, get some milk, and basics and stumble home..in a few hours. Since I drive my Son in this car, and he's 13 months I want to keep it up a bit better and since money is scarce I need to try and fix this thing myself to the best of my ability, or as I said replace it. It's already protected me from an accident, and given me at least three years of driving time.

I'm babbling, thanks for looking and answering ahead of time. So please, do a good deed and help out the handicapped volvo owner. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Most members here are gentlemen and will help fellow Volvo owners, and we all need help, one way or another.

Is yours a 960 or 940? What year?

Old 08-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Okay buddy

Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum, as Henry10 Stated we are all here to help one another. Just let us know the year and model 940/960....V90/S90...

Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vent problem is a diaphragm that I think is located on the right side under the dash,

bad news is the dash has to come out to get to it.