Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Default How to change out brake pads

Hello,

I have heard that it is pretty simple to replace brake pads.
Could someone list the steps for me?

My car is a 1993 850 GLT with disc brakes and the Rotors are good...

Thankyou...
Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 AM

If you have never done it before, please don't start now, on your own.

Not to discourage you from DIY but brakes are a safety critical system on your car. While replacing brake pads is not rocket science, it is not something you can afford to make a mistake on.

If you really want to learn how to repair brakes, watch someone else do it who knows what they're doing; then you can try it with their supervision. If that's not feasible, take an auto shop class from the local community college.

Please don't skimp on safety; yours and everyone else's out there on the road with you.

1998 S70 GLT, 70K mls, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways.
1996 855T, 120K mls,
N/A cams, N/A intake manifold & TB, ARD green w/M4.4, OBX improved, white injectors, 18T, R ExMan, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways, AEM boost and AFR gauges. Fun DD!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 AM

They are very simple, pick up a Haynes manual and it will walk you through it step by step. The hardest part is getting the spring clip snapped back in in the fronts when you are done. The Haynes neglects the importance of grease on the back of the pads to eliminate squealing. I use Sil Glyde on the back of my pads and the pins.

...Lee
1998 S70 T5
1999 V70XC
Previous Volvos:
1989 740 GLT
1986 740 GLT
1972 142 Grand Luxe
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the good advice gdog. I'll get a Haynes manual and check it out.
I watched my certified mobile mechanic do some of the work on my C70.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 PM

Thankyou Lee,
I'll check out a Haynes manual. jc
Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Lee View Post
They are very simple, pick up a Haynes manual and it will walk you through it step by step. The hardest part is getting the spring clip snapped back in in the fronts when you are done. The Haynes neglects the importance of grease on the back of the pads to eliminate squealing. I use Sil Glyde on the back of my pads and the pins.

...Lee
Thanks man, squealing on low speed is my problem. I think that my neighbors hate me because of that.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you use OEM pads. They are worth the extra cost and you will not be happy with cheaper pads. These cars are very sensitive to what pads they have on them. I hate squealing brakes and every time I have used anything but OEM I have had squealing.

If your pads have been changed more than once, I would change the rotors too. If you watched somebody do it on a C70 and got a feel for what to do, you should be fine.

I always let my wife take the first test drive to make sure I did a good job. If she doesn't end up in the creek across the steet I did good.
03 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 - Wife likes it better than the other cars so she drives it.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to nonsense619

LOL!!! good one jim.

FALLING MORE IN LOVE WITH EVERY CEL
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKW View Post
Make sure you use OEM pads. They are worth the extra cost and you will not be happy with cheaper pads. These cars are very sensitive to what pads they have on them. I hate squealing brakes and every time I have used anything but OEM I have had squealing.

If your pads have been changed more than once, I would change the rotors too. If you watched somebody do it on a C70 and got a feel for what to do, you should be fine.
Good advice, but I have had good luck with PBR pads from ipd too; read the instructions; break in is critical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKW View Post
I always let my wife take the first test drive to make sure I did a good job. If she doesn't end up in the creek across the steet I did good.
Aren't wives the greatest!

1998 S70 GLT, 70K mls, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways.
1996 855T, 120K mls,
N/A cams, N/A intake manifold & TB, ARD green w/M4.4, OBX improved, white injectors, 18T, R ExMan, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways, AEM boost and AFR gauges. Fun DD!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Job is easy, just make sure you have a torx bit t45 to undo the bolts holding the caliper.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Tags
1989, 740, 850, brake, brakes, c70, change, changing, front, pads, replace, rotors, s90, v50, volvo