Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Rack and pinion

Hey all, New to the fourms. is there a way i can change just the line on the rack and pinion. everything else is good on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R-9330J-900-MAP.jpg (47.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
1995 Volvo 850

if all else fails get the right size brake line and a tubing bender
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 AM

Yea that is my plan. But i just want to know if its possible to do the flare for it. its like a double flare with an O-ring
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

Other than a dealer does anyone have a source for a replacement pressure line ??
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Where i am the only way i can get the line i need is to have the rack sent out and be rebuilt or buy a new one. i really dont want to do that because everything is like new. So i will try the double flange with an O-ring and hope that works. i only gave $600 for the car but i really dont have the money to drop on a rack and pinion.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 PM

I'm just throwing this out there for anyone searching for rack and pinion problems.
The rack and pinion on my 850 had "hard spots", they wanted $600 just for the rack plus installation because it is no longer available and it would need to be rebuilt.
Lucas Power Steering additive and a weeks worth of driving and all was well once again.
That was 2 years ago.
I am not a fan of additives, but I was desperate.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 AM

I wish i could use that. my line snapped in half at elbow
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

If all else fails you might need to find some old guy who really knows how to weld and likes a challenge and he might be able to braze the parts back together. Brazing doesn't take as much heat so might be possible depending on how much distance and what type of a heat dam could be used to protect the hose to metal crimp. You could call around. Worst case is you don't find anyone but if you do and it works you'd have a quality repair and a proper sealing arrangement between the rack and hose.

I know this isn't going to help you with the broken elbow on your line but the rack is available in the aftermarket should someone need one. Maybe Spike was talking about from the dealer but A1 Cardone presently has rebuilt racks on hand and available to parts stores. Oriellys has it for $274.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Go to a wrecker like Pick N Pull and get another line. Simple.

Do you have wreckers that let you pull parts? We have a mixture of some 'Elite' wreckers that wont let you set foot in the yard and others that say go get it yourself.

Built B5234T5, H-Beams, Wiseco, Shimmed and decked, N/A cams, Cyro'ed, 20G w/ARD Black tune at 22psi, 650cc inj, e85, R-Mani, Meth injected, 3" exhaust, catless, M56L, Quaife, Sachs 707 mated to a Lightened Flywheel, FMIC, 3" MAF w/3" intake, ARD pulley, Bilstein shocks, H&R springs, IPD sways, MSD and a crazy old man with a lead foot.

Lots of pwr, no traction 20G
13.8@103 Manual 18T
13.7@99 Automagic 18T
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
If all else fails you might need to find some old guy who really knows how to weld and likes a challenge and he might be able to braze the parts back together. Brazing doesn't take as much heat so might be possible depending on how much distance and what type of a heat dam could be used to protect the hose to metal crimp. You could call around. Worst case is you don't find anyone but if you do and it works you'd have a quality repair and a proper sealing arrangement between the rack and hose.

I know this isn't going to help you with the broken elbow on your line but the rack is available in the aftermarket should someone need one. Maybe Spike was talking about from the dealer but A1 Cardone presently has rebuilt racks on hand and available to parts stores. Oriellys has it for $274.
We didnt have a O'Rielly's back then.
That was the price from the local import parts supplier that all of the shops use for import parts.
That was a few years ago so pricing may be different now.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Tags
a1, broken, cardone, cost, elbow, forum, hard, installing, line, pignon, pinion, rack, replace, reviews, spots, volvo