Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Does engine oil stay in camshaft after engine off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does engine oil stay in camshaft after engine off?

Hello guys,
I drive only a time a month, I'm afraid it damages my volvo.
I mean, whether there's anything more than sitting the car over night.

Engine oil stays in the top of the engine, say, camshaft right?

After engine off, does it fall down by gravity?
So I start it again it damages the cam somehow.

Is it true?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A small amount stays between the cam cover and the head but most of it falls down to the sump. After performing major work on an engine I always prime the engine before starting becuase it is bone dry but that requires a power probe. You can just turn the key and crank it over but stop it from actually starting. Do that a couple of times and that should do the trick.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 AM
Default damage

Originally Posted by good1662
Hello guys,
I drive only a time a month, I'm afraid it damages my volvo.
I mean, whether there's anything more than sitting the car over night.

Engine oil stays in the top of the engine, say, camshaft right?

After engine off, does it fall down by gravity?
So I start it again it damages the cam somehow.

Is it true?
There are more important things to worry about . Have you ever worried about this with any other vehicles you owned ?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by gstallons
There are more important things to worry about . Have you ever worried about this with any other vehicles you owned ?
Agreed.

Even though most of the oil has drained to the oil pan as soon as you start tuning the engine over oil is pumped back up to it. Maybe a second if that of running without oil, not worth trying to avoid.

Do you remember the infomercials for Z40 or ZMax or something like that, claimed to leave a molecule thick film on the metal no matter how long it sat? They would line up 3 or 4 engines on stands and run them, then pull the drain pan and keep running them. FInally they would pull the coolant lines and show that the Z? treated engines would keep running no matter what, whereas the untreated engine would lock up in a few minues of pulling the drain pan. Total crap. If it did have any significat effect on engine longevity every engine oil in the world would have it in it.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by gstallons
haha dude only Volvo, as much as I love this one

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by damien360
A small amount stays between the cam cover and the head but most of it falls down to the sump. After performing major work on an engine I always prime the engine before starting becuase it is bone dry but that requires a power probe. You can just turn the key and crank it over but stop it from actually starting. Do that a couple of times and that should do the trick.
thanks mate !
S40 MY07 starts right away as soon as I crank, with 2000 RPM so I'm just unfortunate..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Livens
Agreed.

Even though most of the oil has drained to the oil pan as soon as you start tuning the engine over oil is pumped back up to it. Maybe a second if that of running without oil, not worth trying to avoid.

Do you remember the infomercials for Z40 or ZMax or something like that, claimed to leave a molecule thick film on the metal no matter how long it sat? They would line up 3 or 4 engines on stands and run them, then pull the drain pan and keep running them. FInally they would pull the coolant lines and show that the Z? treated engines would keep running no matter what, whereas the untreated engine would lock up in a few minues of pulling the drain pan. Total crap. If it did have any significat effect on engine longevity every engine oil in the world would have it in it.
so it is no big deal,
Oh, I'm gonna go watch for the Informecials. Thank you for it also