Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

upholstery cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upholstery cleaning

I have an 02 volvo S40 with the T-Tec fabric upholstery.I hav tried several methods including the Owners Manual Instructions and am unable to get the stuff clean.The fabric also waterspots badly.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.BJ

Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Default RE: upholstery cleaning

Bump.Anyone have any suggestions?They would be greatly appreciated.BJ

Old 01-26-2007, 02:18 AM

Hi hocbj23,

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but I am interested in this topic because I am considering getting an S40 with the dynamic T-Tec upholstery because I have read that it wears well - but by the sounds of your post you have been having some problems with the material.

Would you mind saying what happended to cause the stain?

Would people with more experience with this material recommend or not recommend it over the leather, from a stain resistant point of view? Especially with kids that "are" going to spill things.

I would really appreciate hearing what people have experienced with it before I go out and get it.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 PM

T-tec wears beautifully, but it does waterspot and attracts so much dog hair you could make it into a wig. I have leather, and a buddy of mine has t-tech. It is taupe and looks dingy from fur and dirty dog paws. He says if he had the chance again he'd go for leather.

I suggest the shampoo specially formulated for cleaning wetsuits. I would start with a very dilute solution in warm water and work in whole sections (starting in an unobtrusive section) so that you don't get water edge marks. Use a hair dryer to dry it on the low, warm setting. Just about any fabric will spot if you soak it too much and dry it fast and hot.

If that doesn't work, try visiting a Nissan X-terra forum and look for info on how those folks clean their seats. It is my understanding that many X-terras are equipped with a neoprene-like interior upholstery that is similar to t-tec and is supposed to be an outdoorsy material that is durable, which means it would stand up to a good cleaning without damage.

The upholstery and plastics in a Volvo tend to hold up pretty well - comparatively - for years even when mistreated.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for you response, cmj912.

If anyone else could or would be willing to add their experience with this material, that would be much appreciated.

hocbj23,

Please let us know how the cleaning goes, cheers.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Re the post on my experience with stains and wear.The T-Tec wears like iron.BUT,anything and everything spots it,even and especially H2O.Every time I open the door in the rain I get a few more spots.Spot cleaning just makes bigger spots. I think I will try the wet suit cleaner and do the whole seat at once and see what happens.Thanks for the tip and I will keep u guys posted.If it doesnt work,I am going to have my favorite trim shop leather face the seats.BJ

Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your reply - I hope the wet-suit cleaner works.

Out of curiousity, what color are your seats?

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Beige.BJ

Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Found a link to cleaner here:

http://wetokole.net/page/WOH/PROD/CSC/CKIT

Apparently this is manufactured for their neoprene seat covers. I have no affiliation with the company. I was just looking for some cool seat covers for my V40, because I can't stand looking at that annoying section of cracked bolster anymore.

My seats are PERFECT save for that one stupid section closest to the seat belt. I'd rather cover them, preserving them the way they are rather than attempt to fix them with crack filler and dye...I can just imagine the mess I'd make. Or the $$$ I'd pay an upholsterer to replace that one piece

These neoprene ones look like a pretty good fit if you are looking. They *do*, in case you were wondering, take the SIPS airbagsinto consideration.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 AM

This fabric is horrible! I would get leather next time around because ANYTHING that spills on it stains it (water included). Be careful when cleaning, if you scrub too hard, the material wears away and *****. They false advertised this material. Liquids are supposed to bead when spilt on the surface?.....this does not happen....

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM

We used deluded dish soap and vacuum cleaner, the only thing, I wish the vacuum was more powerful, some spots remained, may need another round.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:00 AM

dont know if this is same material but just cleaned my dads 02 s40 1.9 diesel sports

it has a beige interior and has always been badly watermarked and soil getting ingrained on wear / rubbing areas& door cards

He was away on hols and i tried the conventional methods of dry shampoo - hot water extraction dboth dried same.

After these failed i tried something more drastic and it worked for me,but you make your own choice.Sorry no pics never thought of it was just intent on cleaning upholstery

I flooded the seats with hot water and a cleaning agent wife uses in washing machine called Vanish (pink powder stuff)

Lightly scrubbed seats then repeated several times allowing to dry before each retreat. After 6 or 7 attempts all the black marks and water marks were gone.

Dad has been using car for a few months now and none have returned. Upholstery is really clean and looks excellent.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM

T-tec is a great good looking material, durable, does not get as hot as leather but gets stained just by looking at it. I discovered a way to keepup with the nice look of thematerial by using babywipes, hopefully unscented, otherwise your entire car will have baby smell. Each wipe has the right amount of moisture for safe cleaning, you must be very pacient because you have to work your way to each section of the seat. It works better if you do the entire section not only the stained part. Buy the refill packages(shipper and easier to open). Trust me, you will end up doing the entire seat, rub the stain first working your way out to cover the entire section. In my case, I use up to 6 wipes per section. You will see easy stains going away right on the spot, the tuff ones will need more rubbing. It will dry in about 15 minutes.

Hey, and if you are the kind of guy who wants to have fun cleaning your Volvo and working out at the same time then do not look further,you will build up serious biceps , triceps and chestbecause you will do it every week-end.
You can use to clean up yout matts as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Default Re:Upholstery Cleaning

Hi,
Upholstery cleaning is done with the help of the upholstery tools according to their nature..... Cleaning of the upholstery is very easy...

Anything Upholstery:
http://www.anythingupholstery.com

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Default Carpet Cleaning

Having trouble in cleaning your carpet? Dont waste your time and effort in doing Do-it-yourself cleaning procedures visit our web site AJS Carpet Cleaning, Inc. South Jordan, UT for the greatest carpet cleaning services.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM

According to my view, Carpet cleaning need to be vacuumed once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic. Carpet cleaning, for beautification and the removal of stains, dirt, grit, sand, and allergens can be achieved by several methods. Now-a-days, Many latest equipments are available for carpet cleaning with high quality.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Thanks for your advise, i would keep in mind several tips and implement it in my home while doing carpet and upholstery cleaning.