Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shop says can't turn off after-blow - true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shop says can't turn off after-blow - true?

I called a local volvo shop and asked if they can go in with their computer software and turn off the after-blow feature. Answer - no. They can turn of things like the DRL stuff but not the after-blow.

Shop feels that it is probably a fan resistor or another resistor. Asked cost and he said they just recently did one and if he remembers it was $400.

Ouch! Just had the DIM rebuilt for $200, the AC clutch is acting up and now $400 for an after-blow problem.

The sticky for DIM repair was a great help because removal and install of the instrument cluster was a breeze.

IS there a sticky on replacing the resistors or getting blowers rebuilt or what do I really need to fix?

I might start with getting the battery stress tested. With the after-blow feature the battery gets more action then a car that doesn't run blowers with the car engine turned off. Perhaps a 3 year old battery is far too much to ask with a car that uses after-blow.

Plus I've read multiple articles about batteries and how they contain less lead than in previous times. Therefore they don't last as long. Good marketing plan. Now batteries don't last as long and the price for them is rising.

Maybe I need to do some checking for parasitic drain. Is there a favorite place that a 2002 S60 would have parasitic drain.

I know of some other cars that had heaters tied into the door locks to keep them from icing up in the winter. The problem was that things went awry and it could create a massive failure with battery drain. I'm wondering if the 2002 S60 has its own favorite drain?

Last edited by urdrwho; 07-14-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery it's a quality brand and has the right ampers, it should last a good 8 years or so. Many times 10 years old batteries are still well working. Maybe yours is not up to the specs or the alternator doesn't charge well (another possible issue on older vehicles). Measure the charging voltage to verify the alternator.

Side note, the the afterblow function doesn't work for long, a few minutes, at any time it shouldn't be long enough to discharge a normal battery.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Battery life depends on climate, too. If you live in an area with really cold winters, I would call yourself lucky to get 5 years out of a battery. 8 or 10 will not happen.

I am pretty sure Afterblow can be disabled on all P2s, but I'll have to double check at work.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

As I thought, you can disable it on an 02.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 AM

So it can be disabled? Sad....that means the shop didn't tell the truth. I thought I had found a shop that I can trust. Yes I do 95% of my own work but there are times I need the expertise of professionals. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe the guy on the phone didn't know.

I'll call a different shop.

Originally Posted by ES6T
As I thought, you can disable it on an 02.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Do they have VIDA? I thought you called a dealer, not an indy.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 AM

Our cars sit outside. Even though we have a 4 car garage, the garage is full of things like ping pong table, a built-in fireplace / grill so I can grill in the winter, refrigerator, etc.

In the winter the car is at times sitting in single digit temps. and in the summer it sits out in the sizzling sun. Both temps that are hard on a battery and I've never had a car battery last past 5 years.

I don't go cheap on batteries. The one in the volvo was there when I bought the car.

The alt is putting out 13.5. I've been monitoring the battery. The car goes on a 30 mile commute total 60 miles a day, using the AC and DRL's on.

A few more days of running will give a more clear picture.

Battery life depends on climate, too. If you live in an area with really cold winters, I would call yourself lucky to get 5 years out of a battery. 8 or 10 will not happen.

I am pretty sure Afterblow can be disabled on all P2s, but I'll have to double check at work.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 AM

They have VIDA. The last time I was there was to get the SRS light turned (DIM rebuilt). I had to wait because they had to do some Volvo update to their software and they had a problem with getting the update. At least that is what I was told.

Do they have VIDA? I thought you called a dealer, not an indy.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

If they have VIDA, they can change the programming of the CCM. Maybe the guy doesn't know how, but it can be done.