Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 V60 T5 - gas odor

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 V60 T5 - gas odor

I have a 2015 V60 T5 i bought last January and just passed my first year. I've had a recurring gas odor at cold start and sometimes when driving around. It only appears to rear its head on winter blend gas. When I park my car in the garage about 20 minutes later there's a fairly gassy smell in the garage. The issue is intermittent and the technician did say that he detected a slight odor -- I tracked it myself doing the old fashioned sniff test under the hood after driving it and its on the left side of the engine at the fuel rail/injectors.

I've had it in to the dealer multiple times - they keep doing the same tests on it: smoke check and gas tank pressure check. Both tests always pass, but the issue is still there. The dealer claims that Volvo is telling them they can't do anything else beyond those two tests because nothing is coming back negative. The service advisor told me to call the Volvo Service Line but that didn't get me much other than the person being sympathetic as she took my information down. The service advisor also claimed that Volvo is refusing to pay them for the last troubleshooting they did because those two tests keep coming up empty. The car is under warranty for about another 24K and I really want to get this issue solved. Anyone ever run the UV dye through their fuel system and had luck with finding leaks? It blows my mind that the service department of a major automaker is unable to perform even basic troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I think you need to move up from the service advisor and speak with the service manager about getting Volvo corporate involved - particularly if the problem gets worse after warranty (you want a fully documented case should this become a repair item down the road). Dealers as independent businesses have a fairly structured process of what they can do under warranty as they get paid by Volvo for that work. Volvo would be the one to approve something additional like pulling the fuel rail to check/replace o-rings/gaskets etc. The service manager should be able to help escalate so you don't get stonewalled on the Service Line.