Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

D5 2004(old) Manual 104,000:Momentary power loss, and also suspension clunk questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D5 2004(old) Manual 104,000:Momentary power loss, and also suspension clunk questions

Hi all

2 brief questions:

1) If I reverse the car, then chage into a forward gear and bring the clutch up so as to make the car stop rolling backwards and instead drive forwards, there's sometimes a small clunk noise from the suspension. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's an inexpensive suspension part that wears and requires replacing and that a knock when taking up drive can be indicative of this; does anyone have any further info or other suggestions

2) Something I've become aware of recently is an occasional, and brief loss of power when going from a cruise to an acceleration. The example I rem,ember from the other day: I was approaching a motorway roundabout in 3rd, at a steady speed (maybe slightly decelerating). I saw that the way was clear and put my foot down to accelerate and there was a momentary deceleration (as though i'd let off the power) before the power came back and all was normal. I've also noticed this on startup, particularly on cold mornings whereby I start the engine (no throttle at this point) and creep out of my parking space on the idle, if I then press the throttle, there is often a brief moment of a lack of power/engine seems to struggle before something picks up and the car accelerates away. Allowing the engine to idle for slightly longer seems to reduce the occurrence of this.

I'm well accustomed to turbocharged cars and do not attribute what I feel to turbo lag, because of the feeling of deceleration/loss of power rather than just there being a delay as the turbo spools up. Also, I'm quite acutely aware of changes in the behaviour of the cars I drive and feel that the momentary loss of power at speed has only just started happening (otherwise I'd have noticed it sooner)

The car goes like stink when pushed, and it does not get driven in a manner that will labour the engine; i'm just casting for opinion to see if there is something I can check the operation of now, that may be failing or need maintenance. The car is serviced on schedule at a Volvo dealership and has been all its life. It does mainly motorway miles.