Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Volvo S60 2.0T cranking but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S60 2.0T cranking but not starting

One morning she just would not start.

I read all the threads I could find without any luck.

I have a 2006 S60 2.0T with automatic transmission, the car has about 207 000 km on the clock with a full Volvo service history. In the 2 years I owned the car I have not had any problems.

Tested:
- The battery and tried using jumper cables.
- Cleaned the air filter and box.
- Tried pulling the sensor cable off between the air box and turbo.
- Checked the spark plugs.
- Tested all the ignition coils.
- Tested the fuel pressure.
- No error codes on the car or the computer I connected to it.
- Looked for bad connections and hoses( did replace a broken breather hose from the top of the engine to the oil splitter ).

I do hear a lot of noise coming from what sounds like the throttle body under the intake manifold. When turning on the key and after turning it off for quite long time. The noise is an electrical buzzing sound. Also intermittently with a clicking sound and what sound like flapping sound.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM

Some further investigation has led me to find oil in the throttle body entrance and a lot in the pipe going to the intercooler. The pipe from the intercooler the turbo is also very oily on the rubber elbow joints.

Is this normal ?

Old 08-17-2016, 04:08 AM

I cleaned the throttle body which was very dirty, the flapping noise has now stopped.

After trying to start the car and then turning it off, I can for about 30 seconds hear an electrical buzzing sound coming from the one of two camshaft position solenoids.

Could this be my problem, hoe do I test it ?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Usually when the cam position sensors act up they will throw a code. You may want to test for a clogged PCV system as that can push oil into different places. How clean is the oil? The VVT is driven by oil pressure so dirty oil can make them act us as well. Some people suggest periodic Sea Foam treatments (a strong oil detergent) but beware as that can loosen deposits and push sludge into the PCV.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 AM

Update:

- The compression test fine
- The timing belt is fine and did not jump.
- I did find a dead spark plug and replaced it.

With proper jumper cables( my are crap ) I was able to start the car and it runs, it seems a flat battery prevented starting.

I found that after the car is switched off and the key remove the power to one off the camshaft solenoids are not cut and then drains my battery.

Both solenoids have the same resistance on their coils, what could be the cause of this ?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 AM

I have tested both the inlet and outlet solenoid plugs after the car has been turned off and the key removed for sometime and both remain on with a voltage of 11v.

I have tried to swap the starter relay with the engine management relay as they are the same and it made no difference.

Where should I look next ?