Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

NO Start, cranking but not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry NO Start, cranking but not turning over

I droped of my daughter at school this morning and when I came back to go the car just did not want to start. I stay there and tried and tried. It finally turned over and I went straight to the mechanic. He checked to see if there was power going to the plugs, distributer and coil. He said the power was low. Checked to see if fuel was coming to the injectors, it was. He happened to have a coil and crank sensor on hand so he changed them both. He then did the same test and found out that fuel is not coming to the injectors. What can it be? Is it my fuel pump is not working properly, the fuel pump relay or any other problem?
Any help will be gladly appreciated.

Riculus

Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

things to check:
1. fuel pump relay
2. fuel pump
3. fuel filter
4. fuel pressure regulator

Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Try the Cam sensor instead and not the Crank sensor...I had a similar prob and tried it all, I replaced the speed sensor( GLT on the fram under the radiator) inside the slots just below the windshield on Turbo models.

Cam sensor (used)
Crank sensor
speed sensor
try them out used first...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM

you will get no fuel sent to injectors if your cam sensor or crank sensor does not make a full circuit...nor will you get spark from the coil connection not the positive and negative cables red/blue...my post was freakin long I don't know if it is still hanging out...ASK Tech

Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM

I was reffering to the sensor that sits just below the distributor cap, move it away from the distributor cap if it is not secure already...this can be the problem...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I just had a start problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The symptoms were as follows:

1. Cranked but would not start.
2. Could not hear the fuel pump when I tried to start it.
3. Could not read codes, the OBD-II code reader would not link to the computer.
4. Frustraded the heck out of me.

My problem was the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
I just had a start problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The symptoms were as follows:

1. Cranked but would not start.
2. Could not hear the fuel pump when I tried to start it.
3. Could not read codes, the OBD-II code reader would not link to the computer.
4. Frustraded the heck out of me.

My problem was the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Hey'a. I'm having the exact same problem with my 1994 850 as Riculus. Car was running perfectly then... just wouldn't start. Cranks but no start. Very frustrating!!! When you say the 'Crankshaft Position Sensor' this can confuse some people. There is a CRANKSHAFT sensor (also known as the 'Turbo Reference Sensor' or 'RPM Sensor' located just below the distributor cap) and a CAMSHAFT sensor. Are you referring to the CRANKSHAFT/TURBO REFERENCE/RPM Sensor...? Thanks.

BTW I replaced my RPM Sensor and it didn't help at all. Even though the code 214 said it was the RPM sensor, no dice.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM

How is you fuel pressure(FP)? That gives you confirmation of either you have problem of fuel delivery system preventing you from start or not.

- If your FP>40psi at the Schroeder valve on the end of the fuel rail, then the fuel delivery is not the one.

- If you have no or low FP, do you hear the "buzzing" sound when your key is turned to pos II? (1) if its no, jump your fuel pump relay (2) still no, give a smack at the bottom of your fuel tank see if your pump comes alive (a new pump should be ordered ASAP); (3) still nothing after smacking, check your pump getting power or not and see if it works with direct 12v.

If it is not the fuel delivery system, do you have sparks? do you have power to injectors?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the support. I was getting spark, the shop called and they replaced the fuel pump. Have to test drive and i will pick it up later. keep youm guys informed

Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by redbottle
you will get no fuel sent to injectors if your cam sensor or crank sensor does not make a full circuit...nor will you get spark from the coil connection not the positive and negative cables red/blue...my post was freakin long I don't know if it is still hanging out...ASK Tech

WRONG! to justify this this just happened to me

EVERYTHING in the car was replaced, from crank shaft sensor, all the way to spark plugs, however 1 sensor was missed and it was indeed the camshaft sensor, i was gettign fuel i had everything but a spark, replaced the camshaft and voila i have a beautifully running 850 t5 now

Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM

who's wrong/right don't matter...we share a cause dam it!!!!!!!! And that is "Volvolutionize the peoples minds" AAAAAHH HA HA HA HA HA.....yes, take over the world is in there too.

Camshaft sensors are temperamental...kind of like underwear, you change then every Sunday...