Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2002 S80 T6 Massive Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S80 T6 Massive Oil Leak!

I have a 2002 S80 T6 with 80K miles on it. I've been changing the oil regularly for 6 months that I've had it.
I noticed there was a lot of oil coming from my vehicle on the ground where I park at work. I popped the hood and there was oil EVERYWHERE! Shallow puddles on the manifold, and all over the engine. There is oil dripped all over the rear and center of the alternator. There's also a lot of oil on the center return hose for the turbo. The oil is running down and blowing back all over the chassis. It's insane and I have no idea why the hell it happened. I checked to make sure the oil cap was on properly and it was. However, there was a lot of dark brown/black gunky oil residue where oil is put into the vehicle. Also the dipstick was not sealed down and was kind of poking out.

Aside from this I'm also running a little rough between 60-80mph.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

I bought the car used because it appeared to be in great shape and was at 70k miles..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

EDIT:: Could this have something to do with the crankcase oil trap or breather box? Not that I know what that is, but how much is that repair?

Last edited by TigerGoosebark; 01-24-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a clogged vent box, there is a similar thread saying the same thing.. Basically you either have to clean or replace the vent box or oil will continue to spray everywhere at will....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't say its definately a "clogged" box but there's a very good chance that its leaking from the seals behind it. I was loosing 1qt/30miles or something when mine was leaking!!

Its easy enough to fix. P/Ns you need are

30713120 PCV Breather box "top" seal
8653339 PCV breather box "bottom" seal
9458535 Inlet Manifold Gasket
947282 Copper washer for the vacuum bolt on L/H side underneath manifold)

Other stuff thats a good idea:
9497454 PCV breather box (black box underneath manifold)
8636753 ETM to manifold gasket. You might as well clean the ETM while you are in there, especially if theres a lot of oil around there.

Was the car overfilled with oil at some stage? If its overfilled sometimes it will pass oil from the PCV dank down the line and into the inlet! Either way, clean out the oil in the pipes and the intercooler too. This oil could be from failing turbo seals, but at this stage I wouldnt panic, its more likely to be PCV related. Change out the spark plugs too, cheapie coppers will do for now while you figure out the peformance issues. Gap them to .028"

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Default What do you think about this?

I'd like to get the PCV kit from IPD. Any thoughts?
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...925&V_ID=14650

Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Hell yeah if you want to spend the money, go for it... In my case I went with the tank (only because I cracked the old one) and the seals. All the pipes were pretty clear so I avoided shelling out just under $300.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM

There were several small rubber seals/washers and a green small seal plastic that were left over. there's a banjo bolt on the Pcv nipple next to the dipstick and I don't think I sealed it right. drove off and have a squeaking noise coming from the s belt area. coolant was extremely low prior to that happening as I didn't tighten down a hose and lost all coolant .. now there is white steam and a hiss coming from somewhere in the engine and the squeaking noise. I'm so screwed.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Don't panic yet. The hiss is probably a vac leak from the 17MM nut under the inlet manifold (or coolant). The coolant leak is probably from where the PCV coolant pipe attaches to the back of the head. You need two copper washers one between the banjo thing and the cylinder head and another between the banjo thing and the head of the bolt. If you didnt get new ones the get em from the dealer. They are cheap enough.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Yeah need the one under the the manifold next to the dipstick. Thats the one I forgot to seal. Everything seems good though except for the squeaking noise from the s or timing belts.. could be gunked bearings from pulleys? A lot of oil and coolant has cakes my engine. No excessive pressure or leaks now though.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Camshaft position sensor busted off. Duct taped in. If it comes out the engine shuts down

Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Volvo_n00b
Camshaft position sensor busted off. Duct taped in. If it comes out the engine shuts down
WTF!!! haha, well at least you figured it out.

The P/N for the washers that go on the 17mm "vacuum" bolt is 947282. You need two, one between the banjo thing and manifold and another between the banjo thing and the bolt.

Not sure on the noise...is it time to do the timing belt?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Default Ok

Got a free cam shaft position sensor housing from the dealership and some of those copper washers for the banjo bolt.

Here's the deal.

Put the washers on and I still feel like there is hissing under the UIM, can't be sure because the damn TAPPET! sound is so loud haha.

The squeaking is gone must've been gunk...

Any ideas? When we put the elbow (nipple thingy that requires the banjo bolt next to the dipstick mounting...) on the car it was a really hard fit and the parts look a little too breakable.. Do you think the damn thing could've broke when I put it on? I really don't want to take the UIM off again because its a huge pain in the butt.

Also, replace tappets/lifters or sump seals?

Thanks guys

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Got a free cam shaft position sensor housing from the dealership and some of those copper washers for the banjo bolt.
WIN!

The squeaking is gone must've been gunk...
WIN!

Here's the deal.
Put the washers on and I still feel like there is hissing under the UIM, can't be sure because the damn TAPPET! sound is so loud haha.
Any ideas? When we put the elbow (nipple thingy that requires the banjo bolt next to the dipstick mounting...) on the car it was a really hard fit and the parts look a little too breakable.. Do you think the damn thing could've broke when I put it on? I really don't want to take the UIM off again because its a huge pain in the butt.
Its possible it broke. If you remove the dipstick pipe and in the inlet pipe from the ETM theres just enough room to get in there and fenangle about. You could at least get your hand under there and see if you can stop the leak with your finger.

Also, replace tappets/lifters or sump seals?
Sump seals. P/N for the kit is 30750783

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Default opposite pcv problem

I have a s80 turbo 2002 that has too mutch vacume causing whistle at low rpm any ideas