Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S80
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Bulb Failure Dipped beam?????

does anyone know what this is? Both front headlights are out and do not work in any switch position!
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
2002 Volvo S80

Default RE: Bulb Failure Dipped beam?????

Sounds to me like your bulbs need changing and the code is just telling you that fact....
I'm refering to the low beam bulbs, they are socket h7 and can be purchased pretty much anywhere

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ility004-1.jpg
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Same thing happened to me twice in one year on my 99 s80. When I took it to the dealer the first time it turned out to be a burned out resister so they changed it for $40. When it happened again after a few months I took it to the dealer again and it turned out to be a burned out shunt so they replaced it for $120 parts and labor. So if the bulbs are not bad I'll bet you its ethier a burned out Resister or a burned out Shunt. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 PM
2002 Volvo S80

Wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to test to see if its the bulbs first? you can always just try one of the bulbs from your high beam in the low beam and see if it works... that way you know its just that you ned replacement bulbs.. you can get those replacements pretty much anywhere if thats the problem..

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ility004-1.jpg
Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 AM

I have read that other volvo cars with this problem may need something called a shunt? Is this the same for the S80?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Yea its called the shunt for the S80 also. As I said I got mine replaced at the dealership for $120 parts and labor not too long ago.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM

The head lights started working again without doing anything to them? Does this sound like it could still be a shunt or a relay? The reason I ask is so I don't tear everything apart and find that it is something else. Does anyone know exactly where The shunt is located uuder the dash? I don't even know what I'm looking for once I'm under there. Thanks Again,
Chuck
Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 PM

I heard the shunt and relay are located under the driver side dashboard. However I have no idea what they look like since I have never been down there because I had the dealer worked on it.

And the Bulb Failure Dipped beam message started to come agian last night with my headlights not working. This is the 3rd episode in one year. I had the shunt replaced just3 weeks ago as I said above. And I also had the relay replaced not too long ago along with the headlights. So this is starting to get a bit annoying now.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

The shunt is under the dash on the drivers side see like for a general idea where it is.
http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Tags
2002, 29, 99, beam, bulb, dipped, failure, h7, head, light, problem, s80, shunt, volvo, xc70