Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Timing Belt Precautions!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And whats the deal with the crank pulley? When I was looking for all the parts I needed for the belt change I happen to come upon a picture of a crank pulley for sale on e-bay and it showed the accessory crank pulley and the the timing belt portion to be all in one. I have already pulled off the first part of the pulley to get the accessory belt off now do I have to pull the belt off the tensionner before pulling the crank pulley or will the part with the timing belt stay on the crankshaft when I pull the second part of the pulley off?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ingydrummer
And whats the deal with the crank pulley? When I was looking for all the parts I needed for the belt change I happen to come upon a picture of a crank pulley for sale on e-bay and it showed the accessory crank pulley and the the timing belt portion to be all in one. I have already pulled off the first part of the pulley to get the accessory belt off now do I have to pull the belt off the tensionner before pulling the crank pulley or will the part with the timing belt stay on the crankshaft when I pull the second part of the pulley off?
Leave the Timing belt on prior to getting the Damper Pulley apart. The Timing Belt Cog on the Crankshaft will stay there. Just remove all the small bolts and the large nut first. Normally the outer sections of the Damper Pulley Assembly get a little tight coming off. It will separate though with a little careful prying. Once they are out of the way then you can paint your lower timing marks.

-R

Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks Repair, I wasn't sure after reading on so many different models.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM

I'm actually holding off now till the water pump gets here and I want to also do a total replace of the thermostat housing and temp sensor. I noticed the fan was not coming on, in my daughters S80 till she turned her air conditioner on so I am not sure if the temp sensor is working right or not. I know the fan works but not sure about that temp sensor. Got to do Wildwood bike week first then back to work on the S80

Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM

I have an 02 s80. Tensioner bearing failed causing the serpentine to fail and it got wedged behind the pully. I did turn it a few times while working the belt out from behind the camshaft pulley and felt it had a hard spot I couldn't get passed. Also the nut on the camshaft pulley was loosened but after seeing what it was it got put back on. The cog was never taken out. When I got everything back together it now has a low tight idle and dash lights surge low,it is dumping gas(using too much) and has no power under throttle. Did it jump a tooth when the serpentine belt got lodged?

Old 10-23-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Smittys80
I have an 02 s80. Tensioner bearing failed causing the serpentine to fail and it got wedged behind the pully. I did turn it a few times while working the belt out from behind the camshaft pulley and felt it had a hard spot I couldn't get passed. Also the nut on the camshaft pulley was loosened but after seeing what it was it got put back on. The cog was never taken out. When I got everything back together it now has a low tight idle and dash lights surge low,it is dumping gas(using too much) and has no power under throttle. Did it jump a tooth when the serpentine belt got lodged?
I'd say yes, there is a high probability the cams and crank are out of time with each other. Also, you mentioned a loosened nut on a camshaft pulley. Depending upon the situation, that could also have that cam out of time, too. I would recommend having a qualified tech go back in and set it up correctly, then hope it didn't bend any valves.

-R

Old 10-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Smittys80
There's a bit of information you included here that you didn't mention in your other post about this. You should include all info if you want to give people the best shot of accurately helping you.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:07 AM
Default Thanks.

Nothing like actual physical evidence to drive a point home.