Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

"Transmission Service Urgent", replace valve body or transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Transmission Service Urgent", replace valve body or transmission rebuild?

My 2000 volvo s80 2.9 (110k miles) got "Transmission Service Urgent" message when I tried to accelerate the other day and "Check engine" light is on as well. I feel the car is vibrating from time to time. I went to my local Volvo dealer last week. They told me valve body is bad. To replace valve body costs $2300, transmission rebuild costs $3000. I don't the money, so I took it back. And today the "Transmission service urgent" message is gone, while check engine light is still on. The car is still vibrating from time to time.
My question is do I have to fix it as soon as possible? Can I drive it as is for a while? When I have savings, should I go have valve body replaced only or get a transmission rebuild?
Thanks a lot!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

best to get the check engine light codes read. Have you tried a drain and fill on the transmission fluid yet and is the transmission software the most updated version? Its not uncommon for the solenoids to overheat and lose their "grip" when the transmission heats up - fresh fluid may be just enough to control the temp and avoid the warning light. Usually transmission valve body issues cause hard shifting, so its common to have to replace them on select model transmissions. Not sure if the service rep was suggesting there's more going on - ie slippage suggests worn wet clutches - if the fluid is black and smells burnt, that's a sign you've got some damage already.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '07 S40 frontwheeldrive, no turbo and I've put 40,000 miles on it with the trans. service urgent lite coming on, usually when it's warm outside. Hasn't happened since before newyears.
I can't afford the 3 grand either.
When the lite comes on, usually at the same spot every morning on my way to work, I just pull to the side of the expressway, turn it off and take out the key and have a cigaret.
After about 7-10 minutes, I start it up and drive away with the engine lite still on but the red Trans. Service Urgent lite gone.
It might not happen for a week. It might happen several times a day.
I'll never buy a non-japanese car again..........My 4th Volvo and I'm done. Nothing more than a laptop with wheels.